General Care Discussion :: Is my turtle male?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:37 pm   Is my turtle male?

I have a red eared slider and he is about 7 months old I was told. I got him in December and the woman who previously owned him told me he was 4 or 3 months old. Today I changed his tank water and I was looking at him swimming around. Then he started doing a thing he does a lot, he just stands up on a big rock in his tank and balances. So it’s really cute so I was going to go get my phone and as I was getting ready to take a picture, a black penis looking part comes out of the middle of his tail. I asked some people I knew her were skilled with turtles when I would be able to tell his gender and they said he would have to be an adult by then. But it looked like a penis so I’m assuming it is. I wish I got a photo but have any of you had the same experience? Or am I wrong and it’s not his penis?
Dashyboy

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:25 pm   Re: Is my turtle male?

It does sound like a turtle penis (exposing it is called fanning), and there a few quality pics on the forum. It is a bit young go a 7 mo turtle though. He might show male characteristics early if he's been overfed. Can you post a picture of his tail? A side view or one from the bottom would help.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:26 pm   Re: Is my turtle male?

I am unable to but I actually got a video of him doing it and some photos of his tail but the photos and video files are too big.
Dashyboy

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:28 pm   Re: Is my turtle male?

But I realized he does it whenever I run water from the faucet and hold him next to it
Dashyboy

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:12 am   Re: Is my turtle male?

It could be the stress, in which case it could make him fan. Try a 3rd party place to upload the image, like www.imgur.com
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion