Urgent Care :: Shell rot?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:20 pm   Shell rot?

Hi! New to this forum but looking for some help. I have a female almost 8 yo red eared slider. She is in a 200 gallon tank. It looks like she has shell rot but I wasn’t sure. I thought it was just shed but she hasn’t shed it all yet. It isn’t soft or squishy and it doesn’t smell bad, I have heard she’ll rot will do that. I can also scratch it off with my nail. She is eating like a champ and is really active so I don’t think she is in pain. Can anyone help me?

She has a basking spot where she can easily get out of the water, she has a uvb bulb that is over the water. I did a little bit of research and I am going to get a mercury vapor bulb and put it over there basking spot so it will be easier for her to get the nutrients. Will that help?
Attachments
CFC97581-6EA7-4DB3-B749-148FFC671083.jpeg
Pennyturtle05

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:09 am   Re: Shell rot?

It's fungus. There does look like some shedding starting but fungus grows faster. Does she bask a lot? I see some algae on her shell too.

I would make sure that she basks regularly, but most likely you will need to get some medication to fight the fungus. Usually it's Silver sulfadiazine cream.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:53 am   Re: Shell rot?

Thank you Steve! Yes she does bask a lot. I haven’t given her a “bath” with a toothbrush and water for a while so that is probably why there is algae. Or the fact that the tank is due for a clean, I will do that soon! How should I apply the cream and how often? Thank you so much!!
Pennyturtle05

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:46 am   Re: Shell rot?

Keep your turtle dry then apply a very very thin layer. I would do it over night then you can let your turtle sleep. Then in the morning, just wipe or rinse off any remaining residue and put her back into the tank. A week or so should do it.

This particular cream requires a prescription in the US.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:40 pm   Re: Shell rot?

Steve, thank you again! Sorry for so many questions! I have found contradicting info online and you seem very knowledgeable. Should I leave water with her at night if she wants to drink anything? And should I take her to the vet to get a prescription or like tell the people at Walgreens or something that it’s for my turtle, thanks!
Pennyturtle05

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:22 pm   Re: Shell rot?

No, she doesn’t need water. If it’s completely dark, she should pick a corner and sleep. Most times you will need a vet to see though if you know someone who works there, they can help you out.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:46 am   Re: Shell rot?

Thank you Steve! We probably will go to the vet soon. I found some stuff online that was “turtle fungus cream” or something. Would that work? Or should I play it safe and get a prescription from the vet? Thanks a ton!
Pennyturtle05

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:07 pm   Re: Shell rot?

That's not specific enough for me to say but people have used different kinds of OTC anti-fungus for shells. Some do report back with success, but it does carry a risk. The kind for soaks and baths have been around longer but I never liked the idea of a medicated soak for my turtles.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:02 am   Re: Shell rot?

Thank you Steve! We will just have a quick vet check up and pick up some cream! Thank you so much for your help!
Pennyturtle05

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:19 pm   Re: Shell rot?

Good to hear, good luck with the treatment!
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care