General Care Discussion :: Turtle Shell!!

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:04 am   Turtle Shell!!

I have had my turtle for a year now and I’m currently wondering if my turtle’s shell is healthy. I’ve noticed some discoloration on the shell. I have my turtle in a 20 gallon tank with a basking light, uvb light, 2 filters and a heater.

https://m.imgur.com/z1bIjcw
https://m.imgur.com/7yfLeOl
Jadon

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:10 am   Re: Turtle Shell!!

The coloring is normal, but there is a bit of algae on there so it's possible the turtle does not bask enough. There are some retained scutes/light pyramiding, so it's likely your turtle is overfed. I'd also remove the smaller gravel/rocks from the tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:10 am   Re: Turtle Shell!!

First off thank you for your response. I currently feed my turtle twice a day, when I wake up and when I go to sleep. Do you have any suggestions on how to decrease feeding/how much to feed her? Also, I see her basking sometimes, Do you know how to encourage her to bask more.
Jadon

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:42 am   Re: Turtle Shell!!

I see the same things as Steve and agree. Nothing real bad if you tweak a few things now. Overfed yes. A one year old turtle not a baby anymore. Feed only once in the am so it has time to process its food and not be sleeping with a full belly. Just like we should do. You should be introducing veggies by now too. Say red leaf lettuce a piece the size of it's shell is good. Pellets and other food imagine the head "not" including neck empty use 2/3's what would fit in it. Use that amount once a day. If you feel you must feed twice a day divide that amount into two feedings , not that full amount twice. Turtles always beg even when full so get use to that. They get better at that the older they get.
Observe well how she uses the basking area and adjust it to her. Temps may be off to her. Water should be 78-80* and basking 10* above that. So 88-90* . A good thermometer that's accurate help's a lot. Turtles can and will be picky ! Think like a turtle and observe well go a long way. Photo of setup can help for more ideas. Read header at top of forum will help especially the nutrition section.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:34 am   Re: Turtle Shell!!

Haha she begs ALOT, here is a picture of my tank set up:

http://imgur.com/3hX4nf6
Jadon

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:59 am   Re: Turtle Shell!!

Knowing the size of a 20 gallons she/he looks big for a one year old ! Did you get it as a 1” baby ? Sure it's a girl if so you will end up needing a large tank once an adult. Looks older than one or just way overfeed. Growing too fast. How long is she now , the shell ? If unsure on sex any picture of front claws ?
Work on your basking area , has only one spot to fit on. Also lower it to just above the water level. It’s close to what looks like a screen lid and that bulb. Looks like a CFL/UVB in front fixture whats in the back fixture ? Turtles are much stronger than most think and could push it up to escape , unless it has clips on it. Maybe a larger floating dock with the bulb's on one end. Would give it more room so if she wants to just dry off without being directly the bulb. Would offer varying temp for her to choose. Let her decide what she wants. Also floating type does not take up good swimming room in a small tank which she will out grow soon. Or make an (ATBA) above the tank basking area to buy you some time before an upgrade is needed. More basking will get rid of that algae on her and help the shell too along with adjusting it’s diet.
litefoot

Return to General Care Discussion