Urgent Care :: My smaller turtle has a nasty cut

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:28 am   My smaller turtle has a nasty cut

My smaller 4 inch turtle either got his leg cut on a basking rock( I’ve since removed it) or our bigger turtle got curious and bit him. The cut starts right at his knee and runs up his leg a ways. I’ve got him cleaned up and wrapped and put him in a Rubbermaid container to heal but every time I change his bandage it starts bleeding again. I’ve tried corn startch stop bleed some dressing spray and blu-kote. Nothing seems to stop the bleeding unless I keep the bandage on. My question is how long can I leave the bandage on before I change it and when can I begin to soak him in antibiotics and tea tree oil? His cut is clean and not infected. But I can see a little bit of flesh and bone under. I feel like a bad parent and I really want to help him without having to drive 40 miles to pay the vet 200 dollars to stitch him up. I’m guessing it’s a bite because there is skin missing in the middle. He doesn’t show signs of pain or stress tho. He’s very relaxed. Thank y’all for reading and helping.
Seth Getchell

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:15 am   Re: My smaller turtle has a nasty cut

Read this link : http://www.redearslider.com/choose_vet.html
Especially last paragraph , for this living animal under your care.
It's a bite to me from description and will be inexpensive or payment plans can be done with most any vet.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:24 am   Re: My smaller turtle has a nasty cut

Thank you. I’m going to keep it clean for now and do my part and see about finding a different vet. The last one I went to didn’t seem too thrilled to see a turtle and acted as if he had better things to do. I absolutely love my turtles and feel bad and cry when they get hurt. I’ve went out of my way to give them a more than mediocre life. I’m not trying to be lazy or say he’s not worth the time or money because he is. I was just hoping there was more I could do. I cleaned it up really well before I made my original post and put some stop bleed powder on it and wrapped it up. It has not bled through the gauze yet like it has been doing so hopefully it’s getting better. Thank y’all for being supportive and understanding.
Seth Getchell

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:56 am   Re: My smaller turtle has a nasty cut

I would still see a herp vet from your description (see bone) ! Being you are just starting in this hobby as by your first post in April this year. Must prevent infection so it has time to heal properly ! I would "dry dock" for that. You can look on this forum under search box or google many ways to do it. This is my way in my almost 6 decades in hobby.

Dry Docking

For a bit clean well with sterile water and or a surgical wash as povidone-iodine (OTC) or betadine . Once clean and dry you can use a triple ointment (OTC) or silver sulfadiazine much better but RX in the US. Lightly bandage for slight bleeding if needed. Prepare a container , plastic bucket , even a cardboard box. Make sure it’s tall enough to prevent escape. Something with dark sides makes a turtle feel safer. Also a cloth towel in the bottom will help them feel secure. Helps keep them dry and catch’s any waste.

Place a heat source above to keep turtle warm , no UVB is needed just warmth . A bulb that does both is ok. Doing this can be done over night when they normally sleep is better , is less stressful. Continue this for 7-10 days for healing time. Watch for infection , will slow down healing time !

Dry docking at night is much more quiet and most turtles will sleep. A good reptile heating pad helps at night under the container “not” in it , if needed to maintain warmth. Or a ceramic heater works well at night since they produce no light.

IMPORTANT : Prevent dehydration, allow it to take a short swims in fresh treated water in a separate container. I do it at the half way point or as needed to prevent dehydration. This allows turtle to drink and re-hydrate. Also can feed at this time. Hydration a must ! Change wet bandage after if still needed for any bleeding. Continue dry docking along with the ointment. Note : do "not" wash off or pull off any scabs forming , that's were the new skin cells will be produced during healing. See a herp vet for extremely severe cases and they may recommend 24 hrs a day to dry docking BUT hydration "several times" a day will be needed !!! Hard for most with having to go to work. Herp vet may want to keep him awhile until you can take over

Make any adjustments on habitat as need if was from a cut .

Do this for 7-10 days , until significant recovery signs. Observe well but as I stated for a beginner a visit to the vet , herp vet or at least one that treats turtles !

Please rethink 5 different sex and size turtles in a 125 gallon as in your April post ! Five turtles would need 500 gallon or larger to be peaceful over time. Heard too many horror story's in my time and on this forum to . Be like 5 people living in a small one bedroom , thing will happen. Turtles are just too dam territorial ! Male's together is a "no" once mature / male female does not work either and only some same size female's together may work if the same personalities . For a short time may work but over time "will not" , separation a must ! Or you will be back under Urgent Care again or worst !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:55 pm   Re: My smaller turtle has a nasty cut

I have him dry docked and got his bleeding to stop. I have him in a decent size Rubbermaid container with the lid covering half and a heat lamp on the other side. It’s lined with paper towels and has a towel for him to climb in. I was able to let him soak in some water today with some tea tree oil and it seems like the wound is beginning to close slightly. Since my first post I’ve set my 55 gallon up for my 3 smaller turtles and am currently just housing the 2 females in the 125. As they grow I will be getting bigger aquariums and/or a pond for them. Thank you for your advice. I don’t just have turtles to show them off I actually really care for them and see them as my children. I’m constantly doing research on improving their living arrangements. I think what happened was Moonlight was probably asleep with his legs hanging off the basking ramp and Thunder came by and probably thought it was food. They are not aggressive towards one another what so ever. But they won’t all be kept in such close proximity of one another for forever. If I can’t get a pond built thunder and lightning (my two rescued ones) will be finding a new home out our local reptile sanctuary. I will post another update in a few days. My wife is a stay at home mom so she’s able to keep an eye on him all day while I’m gone.
Seth Getchell

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:16 am   Re: My smaller turtle has a nasty cut

That’s great doing research. It’s hard to gauge what experience level a poster has without any info in that area. I'm still new to forums but have almost 6 decades of success and insight. Hope some advice offered helped if only to confirm what you already knew in your research. Keep it up. I'm always learning things to this day and I'm an old timer ! I offer advice so the poster and all the people around the world that may view and or follow the question can understand hopefully. A few may be having the same issue. Research is a must but you be surprised how many don’t. In my retirement I work with the Humane Society and lobby for a prerequisite for pet ownership in my city/state. A few cities in the US have already done so. Research before ownership will keep many animals alive. Unfortunately the life span of RES turtle’s for beginners is only two years. Before Hurricane Katrina took all from me … my turtles were in there 30’s and two in there 40’s. Today being old and a restart on my life it’s just Piggley and me. My pet , friend and child ! You are ahead of most in that area good luck and keep us posted. Any pictures of your setups and or turtles ? Wish more would use photo gallery and share there kids. Piggley just the other day posted a short video update.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:48 am   Re: My smaller turtle has a nasty cut

Same here. This is the only forum I use. I’m still trying to figure it out. Your answers really helped me. I called the vet and they told me the same thing. When I pull his bandage off to let him soak in his clean water he acts like there’s nothing wrong with his leg. I’m sorry to hear about your losses in Katrina. I’ve watched so many documentaries and heard a lot of stories about how devastating that was for everyone there. The good news is you made it out and have a n awesome turtle to keep you company. I’d love to post photos I have tons. I need to figure out how to use the photobucket thing so I can upload them. I have some posted on Instagram and a video or two on YouTube. I’m not doing much right now and will begin the photo bucket thing. Thank you again for all your helpful advice and tips. We need more lifetime hobbyist in the hobby.
Seth Getchell

Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:44 am   Re: My smaller turtle has a nasty cut

I believe I got it figured out. They are all random. I’ll go through and organize and name them when I get time and take more as well. I hope you enjoy them. http://s346.photobucket.com/user/sgetchell615/library/
Seth Getchell

Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:42 am   Re: My smaller turtle has a nasty cut

:)
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:59 pm   Re: My smaller turtle has a nasty cut

Moonlights bite has gotten much better. He’s been spending a majority of the day in my 55 with the two baby turtles. I pull him out at night and clean his wound and dress it up and dry dock him for about 10 hours. I’m so glad that he’s going to be alright and from what I can tell make a full recovery. Thank you again for the advice.
Seth Getchell

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:14 am   Re: My smaller turtle has a nasty cut

Fantastic to hear!
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care