Habitat - Indoor :: Can't get RES to use dock

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:00 am   Can't get RES to use dock

Hello,

I have a 16 year old RES named Winston.

Recently I moved my turtle to a new location, (my home not his aquarium) just changed rocks and water and now he won't go on his island?

It's been about 3 weeks since I've seen him on it. He used to use it all the time.

I even bought a new one that I thought would replace the existing one and thought he would enjoy it but I can't get him on it.

Heres a link to the new one I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0746 ... UTF8&psc=1

Should I buy a new one?
Does he need to go to the vet?
Is he just getting too old? :(

What should I do?

Thanks for all your help!

-Steve & Winston
WINSTONTHERES

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:21 pm   Re: Can't get RES to use dock

How big is your tank? It's 9 inches wide... not very big. 16 is not that old, my RES are a little older and love to bask and swim. Do you have a picture of your tank?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:26 am   Re: Can't get RES to use dock

I will have to take pictures of the tank.

It's a 75 gallon thats 4ft long, 18 inches wide and not sure how tall.
WINSTONTHERES

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:24 pm   Re: Can't get RES to use dock

Like too see photo how you are using the new dock too. That's a 9" wide dock may be a little small for an adult turtle.
Most docks sold are for small turtles not much of anything , if any for adults. Adult dock's most customize there own so it's adequate in size. That is large enough to have varying temp's on it and plenty room to place themselves under the amount of heat they need at that time. Sometimes a turtle just wants to dry off without heat. Some have two docks , one as a dry dock , without heat.
Real cork works great for adult turtles.
Also think as a turtle , what he wants to feel comfortable when on the dock. Observe well , by his actions will tell you what he wants so he can use it more.
By the way is Winston a boy or girl ? Some don't change names when sex is found out for sure. Girls can get 12" .
Get a picture of Winston too , please.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:35 pm   Re: Can't get RES to use dock

I'll attach some photos of turtle and his enclosure when I get home.

He is a male, judging by the long finger nails he has.

Do you guys have a recommended island/dock to use for an adult turtle then?

Thanks again!
WINSTONTHERES

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:47 pm   Re: Can't get RES to use dock

I have an old zoomed 24"x12" floating dock I use and modified it a little so not so flat. Important for the plastron to dry off too ! I also piece old small docks together and real cork using wooden dowels or chopsticks. DIY is best for adult turtles , be creative.
I get my real cork from Pangea Reptile. I call them and ask for the biggest flat cork they have and they work with me well. Then I cut to shape I want.
Look in photo gallery for some ideas and under "indoor habitat" / basking picture's may help.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:19 am   Re: Can't get RES to use dock

Heres a few pics of my setup and dock.

Thanks
Attachments
TANK2.jpg
TANK.jpg
WINSTONTHERES

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:41 am   Re: Can't get RES to use dock

Small male slider for being 16 years old. Did you raise it from a baby to know age for sure ?

Few questions please and consider a few ideas offered for safety and to make maintenance easier.

1)What type tube bulb in long fixture ?
And what type bulb in basking fixture ? Brand / type / style

2)Tank size is good for that size turtle but offer more water then adjust dock to it. More swimming room yes but will help you control maintenance easier. If you use a “nitrogen cycle”. Do you know your waters parameter numbers ? Do you test ?

3) Your in tank filter now can not control the waste (bio load) of "your" turtle's size. Filter's are rated for fish gallons not turtle gallons ! Turtles need 2-5x’s “fish gph” being they are so messy.

4) Gravel too small , turtles are known to eat that size causing impactions and death. Go bare bottom may help make maintenance easy for you . Or large river rocks , cant eat them. Or silica sand too small to cause impactions if eaten.

5) If you keep dock in the front tape a piece of cardboard to the outside glass the size of the dock , front and right side. May help him feel more comfortable , safer like hiding and use it. Be creative. Only need that until he feels ok on dock , may take a few weeks .

Just a few tweaks and Winston will feel more comfortable. Search photo's for ideas on things you can do for basking area.
litefoot

Return to Habitat - Indoor