Urgent Care :: Shell Problem!!! ((Shell rot??) HELP PLEASE!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:31 am   Shell Problem!!! ((Shell rot??) HELP PLEASE!

I have two baby RES for 3-4 months and one of them's shell is been like this for a while (https://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y3 ... oakxc6.png)(https://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y3 ... eshlm6.jpg). It spread in time and the other one is like this too (https://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y3 ... d24jfq.jpg)(https://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y3 ... rw9nco.jpg). His shell's colour is started to change and has this white spot on it. My English is not so good so I hope I explained myself properly. I don't know what to do, there's no proper vet around here please help me.

How big is your turtle? both of them 5cm (close to 2")
How long have you had it? 3-4 months

What is the water temperature? 84F
Did you use a thermometer? yes
Are you using a water heater? yes
How much water is in there? 2L
Are you using a water conditioner? no
Are you using any filtration? yes

What is the basking temperature? I don't know
Is there a basking light? yes
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? yes
What kind is it or what is it made out of? synthetic turf on glass
Is there a UVB light? yes (it's the basking light)

What have you been trying to feed it? dry shrimp and pellets, sometimes veggie
When was the last time your turtle ate? this morning

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 22,5x31,5x23 cm (I don't know if it's helpful this way sorry)
Is the tank near a window? no
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? no, just me walking around

Have you read the Basic Care section? no
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? yes but I coulnd't be sure

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? no
GokcemHaddock77

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:34 am   Re: Shell Problem!!! ((Shell rot??) HELP PLEASE!

Hi, you're feeding too much. Skip the shrimp, concentrate on more veggies. Reduce the amount of pellets to a very small amount.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:30 am   Re: Shell Problem!!! ((Shell rot??) HELP PLEASE!

Look at top header on this page . Has basic info and basic care for turtles. Don’t stop reading there read all requirements to help your two little ones to be happy and healthy.

Most important thing is being over feed. See nutrition above for the 2/3’s rule ! Growing too fast now , even for a baby , from your pictures. A balance nutritious diet goes a long way as with us. Read under pellets and veggies/plant for safe ideas/suggestions.

Secondly look under habitat , lighting etc for adjusting there setup. Most basking bulbs are sold as a general heat bulb for general reptiles. Not adequate "alone" for turtle's. Turtles need a UVB bulb too (for shell health and metabolism of food ) a must unless you take them outside every day for a few hours of natural sunlight. Also by a window for sun does not work , UVB rays do not penetrate glass only the UVA rays.
Basking area for babies need to be 85-90* , your water at 84* is is a little high , 80* for babies is much better. A good “accurate” all around thermometer is an “IR” type. Can be used for air , land/basking area and water. Also all around the house too , great for cooking too. I found in my time this is a good one : https://www.amazon.com/Masione-Temperat ... pons&psc=1

Floating type thermometers are very inaccurate , look at several in store all different reading. Even the digital probe type are known for being inaccurate. I have a draw full of them , all different readings ! The stick on the glass type is fair but the “IR” type are great !

Read careful on how bulbs are merchandised. Placement is very important too , instructions would be on the box for that. Some say do both ( UVA and UVB) but are still "inadequate" for a baby turtle ! Study careful ! Lots to learn with each stage of a turtle life , there needs/requirements change during there growth.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:06 am   Re: Shell Problem!!! ((Shell rot??) HELP PLEASE!

Thank you so much, I'll reduce the portions from now on. But what am I gonna do about their shells? And their belly sides, are they shedding or is it about overfeeding too?
GokcemHaddock77

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:36 am   Re: Shell Problem!!! ((Shell rot??) HELP PLEASE!

Babies shed several time without most beginners knowing . At that stage of life they grow fast ! By adult captive turtles may only shed once every other year. Babies almost constantly shedding , sometimes a full shed then at times a particle sheds. The scutes are small and clear when babies most beginners can not tell unless a problem. When they get bigger most can tell when a shed is starting. Read up now so you can tell better when that time comes. With adjustments on there diet and setting there habitat up a little more friendly to baby turtles will help correct there shell in time. Nothing happens fast with turtle , observing well is key !
It's mostly over feeding for there shell ( the type of lifting , seams between scutes , pinkish areas on plastron from rapid growth ) , growing too fast on a poor diet . Too much protein ! Adjusting there setup and diet will help them with future sheds. A turtle mostly sheds to grow but they also shed when they have a problem to get rid of it and start over with a healthier shell. Your is not bad and will be corrected in time with adjustments on diet and habitat.

Offer more time and attention to basking area , goes a long way for shell health along with a balance diet. Not too flat on basking area so plastron can dry off well too , heat , proper lighting and correct temps for babies. These adjustments if applied will help improve the shell also the metabolism of food for a healthier life.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:23 pm   Re: Shell Problem!!! ((Shell rot??) HELP PLEASE!

Alright, thank you so much really!!!
GokcemHaddock77

Return to Urgent Care