General Care Discussion :: Shell Rot or Molting?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:54 am   Shell Rot or Molting?

Hi! I'm new to this forum but a little over a year ago I got my red eared slider (Cilantro) and they've been doing pretty well (they were a baby, as of right now they're too small to sex as far as I can tell [three inches])but lately I see these white marks showing up on their scutes and they were not nearly this prominent yesterday so I wanted to check if something was wrong or if it's just normal for their current age. Thanks for anyone who sees this' help, I really appreciate it!
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
Caro98

Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:37 am   Re: Shell Rot or Molting?

Most is just shedding but I do see a little fungus. Once it sheds completely check well to see about the fungus most should come off in the shed . Also remove all the scutes that fall in the tank to prevent any fungus remaining in tank.
Make sure the tank is set up for a slider , correct reading on light UVA and UVB , temps all. Read up more than just a basic care sheet to find the best setup to help.
Adjust it's diet too growing a little too fast by the way the shell is developing.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:47 pm   Re: Shell Rot or Molting?

Ah ok, thank you so much! I'll be sure to do that! And yeah for his 30 gallon tank I have his basking dock, his filter, his light, and the temperature of his tank is within the right range too! Maybe I need to do partial water cleanups more often though. As for the diet I'm a bit stuck since he's not quite hatchling size but he's not adult size yet so I've been feeding him about as many pellets of a hatchling formula I had him on since I got him as the size of his head. But I think I need to change it up soon since he's near reaching the four inches.
Caro98

Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:15 pm   Re: Shell Rot or Molting?

At his size should be on 40-50% veggies by now he's a juvenile . Hatchling formula every day is too much protein for a juvenile. By adult age should be on 70% or more veggies. Also by adult stage the protein should be every other day.

Look at top header under nutrition for info on pellets and plants/veggies for Cilantro's diet.

If you do more water changes make them at a smaller percentage just more often so you don't kill off any good bacteria you may have. Do you have a nitrogen cycle and maintain it ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:15 am   Re: Shell Rot or Molting?

Oh awesome! That's handy, yeah I'll be sure to read on the nutrition and yeah I usually just "vacuum" up any debris there might be around, should I be replacing more of the water as well? And no I'm not sure if I have a nitrogen cycle going, what should I do to maintain it? Thank you so much for your help by the way!
Caro98

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:23 am   Re: Shell Rot or Molting?

Also this hole is new, should I be worried?
Attachments
1.jpg
Caro98

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:50 am   Re: Shell Rot or Molting?

More detailed info on Cilantros’ setup would help. Pictures of all better.
“” No , what should I do to maintain it”” . First you must start one and then maintain it. The nitrogen cycle is your and filters best friend . Evaporation don’t count as water changes. Then some do 50% or 100% water changes and that’s wrong too. Smaller scheduled 5-20% will remove some toxins without killing any of your good bacteria. So the good bacteria can do most for the work for you , that's "nature" doing most of the work for you. Lots to learn , read up on “the nitrogen cycle” it’s simple and can be done for 1 gallon or 500 gallons as long as you do "your part". Once you read up on it with a little understanding I can help you get there.

Evaporation does not remove toxins ! Like you making a gravy to thicken it. Evaporate the water , all the things “stay” in the pot and get concentrated , only the water goes away. Same happens in a tank toxins stay and build up even when water evaporates.

No matter if you are 13 or 130 do more homework . Read more than just the basics and understand all the requirements then nothing will be a surprise. Prevention and observing is key in this hobby. Basic info and care is like reading only the first few pages of a book thinking you know the true end result. Read all one can to get the full understanding is best. Then one can enjoy the book or this hobby.

As far as the picture. Do you have a macro lens to take it. Too out of focus and bad angle. Cant tell if any depth or see details. Try another photo please. Being a male and close to his cloaca may just be a pattern but observe well. Just cant see well in picture.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:39 pm   Re: Shell Rot or Molting?

Yeah sounds good, I've been reading up on the nitrogen cycle and how to get one going in his tank, I'll attach a picture of his tank right now. And definitely, I do partial water changes but I never really measured how much, definitely less than half though, like I mentioned I mainly try to get debri from the bottom of the tank and then a little more water out. I don't have a macro lens, it's a bit hard to take a picture of it since he keeps moving and when I try to hold him out of the water to take a picture he hides his tail, I'd never seen that hole before on him though, does this mean he is officially male? (I tried getting another picture but I think it might be the same quality as the other one :/ ) He's my first (and only) turtle and I really wanna make sure I'm treating him right and making sure he's healthy, thank you so much for the tips and help!
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg
Caro98

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:49 pm   Re: Shell Rot or Molting?

As far a pellet amount, I would probably halve it more with what you're currently using. And the opening, do you mean the cloaca? Turtles will have only one opening on the tail, and yes, you do have a male.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion