Urgent Care :: Female prolapse

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:24 pm   Female prolapse

Hi long time lurker here, I have a ~10 year old female who has had a purse string surgery for her prolapse a month ago but she is still trying to push her organs out :oops: We have done an xray to see if there was anything stuck but it came back negative. She is still eating fine and pooping like normal. Is there anything else I can do to help her before the sutures wear off? The doctor had no other suggestion unfortunately after seeing her. Thanks.
supermom123

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:04 pm   Re: Female prolapse

That's a very tough situation. What are/were the doc's orders?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:46 am   Re: Female prolapse

The doctor just said to wait it out and hope for the best :/
supermom123

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:38 pm   Re: Female prolapse

Is she in a tank or dry docked? How much longer before her sutures are done? Keeping her in a dark and quiet area may settle her down, but it's not really a long term plan.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:18 am   Re: Female prolapse

She's in her tank, basking normally during the day and sleeping on the dock or in water at night (she's random like that). The sutures would dissolve in a few months.
supermom123

Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:02 am   Re: Female prolapse

Sounds like she's doing well. Is there any swelling? Dry docking usually helps the skin heal quicker. How is she "pushing"?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:29 pm   Re: Female prolapse

No swelling from what I can tell. Usually happens when shes in the water, her tail gets puffy and you can see a bit of flesh sticking out when she wants to "push". If I were to pick her up, it goes back in and her tail flattens.
supermom123

Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:33 pm   Re: Female prolapse

And you said she's defecating normally? Have you actually witnessed it or just found poop in her tank. Has she ever been gravid?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:10 pm   Re: Female prolapse

She has had eggs before and was one of the first things we checked for in the xray. I have seen her poop but can't tell if it's everything she wants to let out. How frequent would an adult turtle defecate if it eats daily, mostly greens? Maybe I can keep track if I knew the frequency.
supermom123

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:29 am   Re: Female prolapse

Pooping "schedules" depends on the turtle. My male RES would poop right after eating, I can never tell when my female RES goes. It's usually overnight... I can tell you both like to poop right after I do a full cleaning in their tanks.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care