Feeding and Nutrition :: Confused about Frequency and Pyramiding

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:52 am   Confused about Frequency and Pyramiding

It has been almost 2 months since I got my hatchling (but not sure how many months aged it was when I took it). I bought it from a pet store and they suggested me to use gammarus for feeding. Since then I am feeding my turtle with only gammarus (I offered him green lettuce a few times but didn't take it as I heard it's still carnivorous). First few days I was feeding it once with one gammarus in each day but another friend who also had turtle before told me it's too less.Then I start giving 2 pieces for 3 times a day!!
Since there is not any qualified vet for turtles around here I checked online sources and now I am so confused about frequency. How many times should I feed it? Should I buy pellets and use gammarus less? I'm also concerned if I overfeed and caused pyramiding :cry: Uploading some photos here. Please help!

https://resmim.net/f/SvSGZg.jpg

https://resmim.net/f/wJI123.jpg
ahusultan

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:48 am   Re: Confused about Frequency and Pyramiding

See no pyramiding ! Looks OK.
Look at top header on this page under nutrition and read all. The 2/3's rule is best at any age. For the first year most high quality baby formula pellets are good enough. They need all that protein because how fast they will grow in the first year. After that first year then introduce veggies and adjust diet with age. It changes at every stage of a turtles life.

What would fit into the empty head rule the 2/3's is once a day ! Not that amount three times a day . You could divide "that amount" into 2 or 3 feeding if you choose. Turtles love to on a feeding schedule. The begging never stops and they only get better at it with age , don't give in to it or you will see pyramiding.

I would not just read basic care and info from the internet or go by a salesman that never owned a turtle says. This site is for RES turtles needs , your turtle. Other species have different needs. Take the time to read "all" in the top header , all documented fact. The more you know now will make this hobby easy ! Observing and prevent is key . A good setup helps a lot , one that meets all needs of a slider. Look at photo gallery for ideas. You don't need to spend a lot of money , just be creative but safe.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:44 am   Re: Confused about Frequency and Pyramiding

Thank you litefoot for your response! I am so relieved now. I actually read all those sections and every single line.Then one more question, do you think I should buy a pellet instead of giving only gammarus? Which one do you think is healthier and do you have any experience about it with your turtle? Too many questions I know but unfortunately I have no one else to ask :roll:
ahusultan

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:02 am   Re: Confused about Frequency and Pyramiding

The gammarus is ok but I rather see a baby food formulated for babies , has all the vitamin needs too. Reptomin baby formula is balanced.
And with todays technology most name brands are good and can be found around the world. A good brand will have an expiration date stamped on it , make sure it’s fresh. Today I'm just an old retired turtle keeper with only one , my Piggley. Experience I hope so , I have 50 years office work 18 in volunteering at a nature center along with in my hay day 6000 gallon in ground pond and about 900 gallons in stock tanks for turtle Koi and goldfish. Hurricane Katrina took all that and more. Family is going on 4th generation in reptile care with my daughter running the office side. Our homes were always like mini zoos. Today being so old it's just Piggley and loving it. Like to think some...and successful. Having babies I took from eggs to 30 and 40 years of life healthy is good , until that storm. 14 years later it still hurts but memories are great !
The trick is not just knowing but to "apply" what one knows. I may not be able to finish helping you my time is short , a few months ago my oncologist changed my date , need to get my list done. Thanks for letting me help just this little ….get with Steve he's very good.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:41 pm   Re: Confused about Frequency and Pyramiding

Ahhh it is so sad to hear these..I really don't know what to say but I can empathize. I also lost some my friends and the place we were settled years ago in an earthquake. But you still have this "being turtle keeper" (:
It is so new and surprising for me being a turtle keeper! It's name is Donatello (I hope is a him haha) Thank you again so much! I will just start to look for a good brand here.
ahusultan

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:43 pm   Re: Confused about Frequency and Pyramiding

Yes, start with the most reputable brand you can buy that available in your country. Though a turtle-specific food in recommended, they might have pond/koi pellets that you can mix into your turtle's diet.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:55 am   Re: Confused about Frequency and Pyramiding

steve wrote:Yes, start with the most reputable brand you can buy that available in your country. Though a turtle-specific food in recommended, they might have pond/koi pellets that you can mix into your turtle's diet.

Thank you! I bought a good turtle food and sometimes reward it with a gammarus (:
ahusultan

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:31 am   Re: Confused about Frequency and Pyramiding

Great to hear, keep us updated!
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition