General Care Discussion :: Turtle Shell Help

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:23 pm   Turtle Shell Help

Hey guys. So a friend of mine wanted to re-home his turtle and was having trouble finding someone to care for it so I volunteered to adopt it. However, I didn’t know too much about turtles. I’ve read alot of turtle care forums and watched many videos so he now has everything he needs (except for a big enough tank but with my current living situation a 40gallon is all I could accommodate.) Before I got him he was in a 20 gallon with almost no water, no light, no basking area, and no proper nutrition. He is anywhere from 3-4 years old and was getting pellets whenever they remembered to feed him. He currently is shedding so I know some of the problem is that but I’m just being a paranoid mom and want to make sure that the new shell is ok. I’ve only had him for a week so maybe all he needs is more time. Any advice would be appreciated.
Attachments
6F3D325B-F434-44CF-85B1-65D44B07C688.jpeg
Smelchor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:23 pm   Re: Turtle Shell Help

The new shell looks much better. Does he get to go into the water?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:48 pm   Re: Turtle Shell Help

steve wrote:The new shell looks much better. Does he get to go into the water?

Yes. I bought an above tank basking area so he would have the full 40 gallons to swim.
Smelchor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:52 pm   Re: Turtle Shell Help

Does he use it? What's his routine like? His previously poor husbandry doesn't look like it has done any permanent damage, though shedding that first layer will be important to know if anything lurks beneath it. After that, another shed or two and his shell could look very good.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion