Habitat - Indoor :: Filter

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:07 am   Filter

Dear all,

New guy here and wanted to ask for suggestions for cannister filter. I have a 3-inch res in a 10-gallon tank (upgrading to 40 gallons in 3 months time), he is a male btw. I have a fluval U4 running at the moment and went out and bought a fluval 206 off of carousel and the aquastop snapped off. Anyway i was planning to get a 20-30 gallons tank for the 206....but now I'm planning to go to 40 or 50 gallons and a more powerful cannister filter and hopefully save some money :D . I've researched a lot and SunSun, Fluval, Rena and Eheim are all suggested...my question is will the Fluval 407 be enough for a 50 gallon tank? or would you suggest something different?
Also attached a picture...please forgive as i'm a novice and you all here have helped me so much.

Thanks All.
honestliar

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:42 am   Re: Filter

Welcome to the forum! If 40 gallon is the max in your budget (bigger tanks/more water is the best) then look into a 40 gallon breeder tank. They are wider and provide more swimming area. If you are going for Fluval, check their FX filters. With Black Friday coming up, you should see a good deal on them in a few places. From your list, Eheim are good too but some what less bang for your buck.

I didn't see a picture, but feel free to try again, use a 3rd party host or email it to me.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:26 am   Re: Filter

tikaa.jpeg
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the reply and I'll try to add the picture again if possible here. I've looked in quite a few filters on youtube that is...cause, where I'm from there aren't many good pet shops with good quality filters, have to buy them online.
honestliar

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:58 am   Re: Filter

Also if i can add to the topic, what are some your thoughts on the fluval u4 and keeping it at the bottom of the tank? thanks
honestliar

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:46 pm   Re: Filter

Online is fine, usually the best deals are there. The U4 and in tank filters in general do not handle turtle waste well. With a canister filter, you can customize it more for turtle needs. More pads, carbon, bio-media, etc. The U4 might be decent at circulation but not much more. Plus they take away tank space.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:07 am   Re: Filter

Thanks again Steve and yes both space and not picking up the poop is a downer with the u4 currently and on that note I want to ask does the canister or any filter scoop the turtle poop or do you generally manually scoop it out of the tank? And yes I think I’ll go for either the 407 or fx series.
honestliar

Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:17 am   Re: Filter

Usually it gets broken up by the turtle and water movement. Larger/stiffer pieces you will need to scoop up. I don't know much about the current 407, I had an older model of that style when I first got my turtles and didn't like it. When my current filters need replacing, I have the FX ready to go :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:48 am   Re: Filter

haha so you're Steve with the fx unboxed yet...i've read a few forums here where other users have asked you on it :D I guess ill go for a fx4 near when i am ready for the new tank i suppose. regarding the poop issue i'm not sure what it is but seems after the poop has been disintegrated it just settles in a corner far away from the filter or just swirls around the water. i guess ill just feed him in his small tank he came with for now. Thanks again Steve and if i may ask what filter are you currently using that's keeping you away from the fx?
honestliar

Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:05 pm   Re: Filter

Yup, thats me. Got them on a Black Friday sale but my current filters are still going strong. With a canister filter, you can position the hoses on opposite ends of the tank for the most circulation. My current filters (1 for each tank) are Rena XP3 filters that have been in use for 12+ years now. These are originals made in France and probably have another few years in them. The current XP filters are outsourced and seem to have some QA issues.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:02 pm   Re: Filter

Sorry for the late reply and a pleasure to meet on my first post! Now that’s a long life for a filter, my second hand 206 lasted a full day lol before the aqua stop broke off. Anyway I think I will get myself a 306 or 307 for now and invest heavily in the future on a better filter as budget is a bit tight. Thanks for the suggestions Steve much appreciated.
honestliar

Return to Habitat - Indoor