Habitat - Indoor :: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:23 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, we're still around! Most have moved onto the Facebook page, but we keep the forum running. Glad to have you and Donnie join us!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:46 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Meryenn!

Welcome. My mom's turtle finally passed on this year after 45 years! It's amazing he lived a full life considering how we had him housed most of that time. We got him in the 70s and had him for years in a cheesy small plastic dish they used to sell in pet stores with a fake palm tree in a raised area in the middle. We eventually moved him into a 10 gallon tank, way too small, no heater, no filter, no lights except sunlight through the window. After many years we moved him to a 20 gallon long (still way too small) with a filter and heater, but still no lights. Then finally thanks to the internet, I upgraded my mom to a 40 gallon and he finally had the set up he should have with suitable lights, filter, heater, thermometer, basking area, etc. Still a little too small since he was 7 inches by then, but the best we could do.

I really can't believe he lived as long as he did!

Anyway, welcome. The best way to tell male from female is to look at your turtle's front nails. If they grow really long, it's a male. It has something to do with them stroking the female during mating. We always thought ours was female until we read this; his nails were super long. This page has a good picture of it:
https://kamekroten.wordpress.com/2011/1 ... or-female/
susb8383

Post Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:45 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i.love.res wrote:Finally, completed ATBA!!!!!! :D

What is the green carpeting material and what did you hold it down with?
nadill1980

Post Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:55 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not mine, but you can get reptile carpeting. The one above looks like the outdoor carpet they sell at hardware stores. Zip ties would be an easy way to secure it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:17 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://imgur.com/gQEp0cR

75 gallon. 250 galleon pump. Wood board. With egg crate as the fencing. Old floating thing for the ramp. Just need some led lights for daytime light in the tank. Basking spot has UVB and UVA..

I would like to put fake plants but idk what she wont eat.
Zuldope

Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:34 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks great! Love the custom stand too.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:57 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey I am trying to do a new tank setup and need a little help. I have my RES some heat and a UVB lamp and both are exactly 5 inches from basking surface. Is that too close? It is a Zoo Med 5.0 UVB bulb and Zoo Med lamp and the heat bulb is an Aqua Culture 60w bulb in a regular silver lamp.
LarrytheRESmom

Post Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:51 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That seems abit close to me. The UVB bulb should have distances listed on the package, and heat should be carefully measured with a thermometer. At a minimum, they need to be high enough that the turtle can't reach it, or that water can be inadvertently splashed on it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:26 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:19 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, she can leave and enter her tank whenever she wants?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:55 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steve wrote:Wow, she can leave and enter her tank whenever she wants?

In theory, yes. In practice, she doesn't seem interested in leaving her tank/basking area all that much. :P

A few years back I started taking her out of the tank and letting her roam the apartment, just so she had a chance to move around. She seemed to like the freedom, loved finding hiding spots to nap in, and without any need of training, would let me know when she wanted to get in the water by calmly resting on/near my feet. So that became the norm for years.

A few months back I had to travel for 2 weeks, and I didn't want her to be stuck in or our of the tank for the entire time, so I built that platform and ramp. Nowadays she's content to swim and bask, but I'm happy she has the option of wandering and exploring if she's in the mood for it.
yes

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:01 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think my RES will ever want to go back into the tank if they are allowed to leave. I did like to let them out insode, and they like to explore but after a few minutes they would look for a place to hide unless a basking lamp was setup for them. Plus, I didn't like all the hair/dirt they would pick up despite my clean floors :lol:
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:20 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone. So a little back story. Last year towards the end of my chemo, my son’s friend gave him two red eared sliders as a barter for a hair cut from my son. My son thought I would enjoy them and give me something to take my mind off what I was going through. They did. I enjoyed watching them swim around their tank and climbing the rocks. I had no idea they were not supposed to be in the little 10 gallon tank filled only half way. Plus the filter it had (came to me with tank, rocks, light, filter) just wasn’t doing it’s job. Constantly cleaning that tank every week. It wasn’t until recently I came across this forum and learned so much. When we first got them, they were between a quarter and half dollar size. Now they are about 2.5-3”. I renamed them Thelma and Louise. I originally named them Bevis and Butthead because I thought they were boys.

I searched Craigslist, OfferUp, Facebook Market Place, and LetGo for tanks. I already knew I couldn’t go bigger than 48” in length and 18” max in width. So gallon size would be limited to around 50 gallons or so. Found a good deal for a used tank, stand, Ebo Jäger (green) heater, and Eheim Classic 2215. Used my points on Amazon on an Eheim Classic 2217. Was able to find 2 sheets of plexiglass even in a pandemic. With the help of Pinterest and this forum I was able to give Thelma and Louise a new home. May not be the ideal size for them but it is better than what they had. Eventually I will transition them into a larger tank later down the road once I can figure out where to put one and save some money. How do people find space for such large tanks in their homes is beyond me.

New setup:
50 gallon tank with wood stand
Eheim Jäger 150 watt heater (the green Ebo one worked too good and I couldn’t get it turn turn down)
Plexiglass above tank basking area 18”L x 8”H x 15”W with actual platform 10”L x 15”W and 8” ramp
Bamboo from Home Depot for privacy
Eheim Classic 2217 with media from them
Eheim Classic 2215 with media from them (setting that up this week)
ZooMed dual light
Sand substrate from Lowe’s
Large pebbles from Lowe’s
Wood from Pet Co
Plants from Amazon

My daughter and her boyfriend came up with the Survivor theme. Few things still need to be made like the tank background, tribal flag, and idol. I think, overall it came out nice. Just need to wait for the tank to clear up with the tannins. Unless it really is clear but our wall color is making it appear tan? Using Purigen.

On a side note. Cutting plexiglass was not hard. Gluing it together was hard. Used Weld On 4. When I do this again, I think I would rather use wood and screw in a piece of plexiglass for the front. But that won’t happen for a while.

Thank you to everyone on this forum. I have gone through all pictures posted and read so many topics to better understand how to be a good turtle mama. Trial and error I guess. Thelma and Louise are now basking in their new area and enjoying the new swim space. I think they are happy. I hope so.
Attachments
0AE51A0B-5D35-4C6E-9E0B-40457F068586.jpeg
0D739942-30B5-4C1B-B2E1-2AA3008AC856.jpeg
97FFEC84-2A68-44E3-B16A-CE29E47AB912.jpeg
cocalicious mama

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:25 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The tank setup looks great from the bamboo (?) to the sand. Love the light breaking though the water in that last picture too. What kind of plants are in there?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:44 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steve wrote:The tank setup looks great from the bamboo (?) to the sand. Love the light breaking though the water in that last picture too. What kind of plants are in there?

Thank you. I purchased from Amazon the 9” silk green plants. They look real without the expense and upkeep. Yes, I glued bamboo sticks to the plexiglass for privacy. They were not using it at all and realized they didn’t have privacy. Especially since the tank is in a heavily used area. We are constantly walking by it to get to the kitchen, living area, dining area, and backyard. Now they use it. I do want to get a light to go over the right side just for light.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MNUSW ... asin_title
cocalicious mama

PreviousNext

Return to Habitat - Indoor