Urgent Care :: Swollen tail

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:22 pm   Swollen tail

Hello,

I have a 2 yo RES that lives in an aquarium with my 4 yo Mississippi Map. Yesterday I noticed his tail is swollen at the base and I can see something black kinda coming out. I read that’s his “reproductive organ” and is normal to be swollen as he comes to maturity but also read of it doesn’t go back in it can be life threatening. I need some advice as to whether I should worry.

I’m not sure how to attach the photos I took, using this from my phone.

But here are the questions to the best of my ability.

How big is your turtle? 4 inches
How long have you had it? 2 years

What is the water temperature? Not sure
Did you use a thermometer? No
Are you using a water heater? Yes, an aquatic turtle heater from petsmart.
How much water is in there? 40 gal
Are you using a water conditioner? Yes
Are you using any filtration? yes a 60 gal whisper filter

What is the basking temperature? Not sure
Is there a basking light? Yes
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? Yes, they love to bask
What kind is it or what is it made out of? A large “floating dock” Also from petsmart.
Is there a UVB light? I just bought a replacement bulb today, it’ll be here Sunday.

What have you been trying to feed it? He eats turtle pellets and dry shrimp mostly
When was the last time your turtle ate? This morning. They always eat in the morning.

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 40 gal tank
Is the tank near a window? there’s two windows in the room on the opposite side of the tank
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? It’s in the dining room and my apartment is open but usually quiet.

Have you read the Basic Care section? Not yet.
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yes, been doing tons of research and getting mixed answers.

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? No, he’s acting and eating completely normal.
Attachments
BF28E8D0-DF4F-47FF-BD9D-34AABF3C1FC1.jpeg
55D125E5-72E4-4CD6-91B3-03F002A8A3FE.jpeg
3C92E86E-48A0-456E-9759-2D43BD95DE3B.jpeg
Last edited by JessBT on Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
JessBT

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:39 am   Re: Swollen tail

Hi, not sure if it is something to worry about yet but I would probably separate him from the map. He's sort of in a period where this is new to him so he might have it in or out (it's called fanning when it's out). The map on the other hand, sees something new and might take a bite and it happens pretty often.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:06 am   Re: Swollen tail

My map is super super docile, the RES is def the more dominant even tho he’s younger. The map lets him have his way so I really don’t think he would bite him or anything like that, he’s a little sweetie!

People on a Facebook page told me I should take him to the vet right away but didn’t want to rush there for this to be normal.
JessBT

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:02 pm   Re: Swollen tail

I know maps are more docile than RES, but it wouldn't be a bite from aggression, more like "hey, what's this?". It happens more often then you would think. If I recall properly, I think nearly all injuries to this area are from bites.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care