Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hello! Newbie here

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:29 pm   Hello! Newbie here

Hi guys.

My name is Derek, living in Malaysia.
Picked up this little fella about a month ago. Tiny little dinghy pet shop near my place had two tiny turts in a very tiny bucket. Kinda rescued them. One has since died, but the other is doing well.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/dEgxFkOwPuY[/youtube]

Can you guys help me identify what kind of turt is this?
legrunt

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:37 pm   Re: Hello! Newbie here

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about the other turtle but you have a red ear slider. How long have you had it?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:48 am   Re: Hello! Newbie here

steve wrote:Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about the other turtle but you have a red ear slider. How long have you had it?

Thanks for the id. Normal that she doesn't have any red ears?
Had her about 2 months.
Have all the necessary trappings for a healthy environment. Large volume water column, large canister filter, dry basking area with mvb all in one lamp... This fella seems to be doing well. I think she's a female, based on the location of her cloaca, but she's still quite small, so not sure if the cloaca location will change as she gets older, proving to be a he instead...
legrunt

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:05 pm   Re: Hello! Newbie here

Yes, it's normal. They might be orange, yellow, or some don't have any. I would consider something else for a substrate as well as make sure you are not overfeeding.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:51 am   Re: Hello! Newbie here

Welcome here dear.
claramax600

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:18 pm   Re: Hello! Newbie here

Hey everyone! It's great to be here with you fellow turtle parents!

My real name is Brittany, I am 20 and I'm from Pa. I'm a turtle mommy myself to a female red eared slider named Kate. :msgreen: Unfortunately, I don't know how old she is (she might be between 15 to 30, my family adopted her in 2008 before I became her mommy). Other info about me is that I also own a guinea pig named Rose, I play some guitar, I love winter, I play video games on my consoles and PC but I can never have the time during weekdays for that LOL, and I'm always active on Discord, Twitter, and YouTube. I'm so excited to be a part of this turtle forum community and I can't wait to chat with yas about anything turtle related. :D

P.S. In the future I'm going to own another slider, a Russian tortoise, and a red footed tortoise, they are so cute!!!
Last edited by SeptemberSapphire on Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
SeptemberSapphire

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:36 pm   Re: Hello! Newbie here

Hi Brittany, welcome to the forum! Tortoises make great companions, I'm sure they would make a great addition. If you do get another slider, please keep in mind that most adult RES do not get along in a tank. Males especially can be aggressive, but any RES can be. So, unless you have a second tank ready to go, you will want to reconsider another RES.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:41 am   Re: Hello! Newbie here

That I do know with sliders, they aren't good to be paired with others. I do have plans to get a second tank for my new slider when the time comes! Thanks for the welcome btw! :D
SeptemberSapphire

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:44 am   Re: Hello! Newbie here

Great to hear. It wasn't until I had a custom tank made that I found out I would have to separate my turtles. Oh well, life has lots of lessons to teach :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:05 am   Re: Hello! Newbie here

Yup I agree. We make a lot of mistakes but we learn from them at the end!
SeptemberSapphire

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.