Urgent Care :: Help pink/red spots on shell

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:04 am   Help pink/red spots on shell

Hi, please help with my sick turtle. He was bitten in his feet by another turtle (now separated). It seems like his feet got infected and he started developing pink/red spots on his shell above his legs, on both sides of the shell. Slight diffuse pinkness of plastron as well. Activity and appetite decreased. Our vet has given him 3 injections of Fortaz (ceftazidime) 3 days apart, and has us doing chlorhexidine wipes with 1 hour drying twice daily. We bask him under UV and heat lamps during this time since he doesn't want to climb up his topper dock anymore. We have not been the best parents and were not educated about a lot of things, but are really trying now and just ordered a new 75 gal tank and Fluval FX6 filter. His water parameter are good, doing about 25% changes daily or every other day. Questions: Does this sound like septicemia? Could it be RI? Do I need blood cultures? Is Fortaz better than Baytril? How long of an antibiotic course until cured? Should I wipe with anything else, e.g. silver sufadiazine, betadine, Neosportin, etc? What else should I feed him if he doesn't want to eat anything but freeze dried crickets and occasional pellets? Thank you all. Pics attached.

How big is your turtle? 7"
How long have you had it? 8 years

What is the water temperature? 80
Did you use a thermometer? Yes
Are you using a water heater? Yes
How much water is in there? 35 gal
Are you using a water conditioner? Yes
Are you using any filtration? Eheim 2217

What is the basking temperature? 85
Is there a basking light? Yes
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? Yes but he does not bask anymore
What kind is it or what is it made out of? Plastic ramp to topper
Is there a UVB light? Yes, now

What have you been trying to feed it? Reptomin pellets, freeze dried crickets. Won't eat veggies.
When was the last time your turtle ate? Today, 2 crickets

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 37 gal
Is the tank near a window? 12 feet from window
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? No

Have you read the Basic Care section? Yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yes

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? Decreased swimming, decreased appetite.
Scoot

Post Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:38 am   Re: Help pink/red spots on shell

Hard to know what's going on. How big was the other turtle? Was there bleeding? How long was the biting occurring? Is he able to walk on land? Is the foot swollen?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:13 am   Re: Help pink/red spots on shell

They're the same age but the other is an inch bigger. A little bleeding at the toes/webbing. Hard to say how long, they always picked on each other some but not to this extent. He can walk on land. No feeling. The feet actually look like they're healing but the shell concerns me. I guess the shell lesions may be from bites as well. Thank you. I will try to post images.
Scoot

Post Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:10 pm   Re: Help pink/red spots on shell

At 7 or 8 inches, your turtles can be pretty strong and do significant damage. What do you mean by "no feeling"?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:10 pm   Re: Help pink/red spots on shell

Scoot

Post Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:12 pm   Re: Help pink/red spots on shell

Sorry autocorrect error, I meant no swelling.
Scoot

Post Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:18 pm   Re: Help pink/red spots on shell

I don't like the look of that pinkish coloring. Has it been spreading/becoming darker? If so, I would go back to the vet because I would think its an infection rather than just an injury. A blood test might help rule out some things.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:24 pm   Re: Help pink/red spots on shell

Over about 1.5 weeks of treatment of Fortaz q3d and chlorhexidine twice a day, the pinkness has gotten a little better, energy and appetite also increased some. He's continuing to see the vet every 3 days for more injections indefinitely. Is it too late to do blood cultures after 4 shots?
Scoot

Post Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:41 pm   Re: Help pink/red spots on shell

Glad to hear its getting better. For the tests, I would consult with the vet. How much longer is treatment supposed to be for?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:50 pm   Re: Help pink/red spots on shell

I'll ask next time. She said it's a regimen they can continue for a while safely. Appreciate your help. Just wondering if there's more I can do. He just ate 10 freeze dried crickets but no pellets or veggies. He's scared of me now from the chlorhexidine washes so doesn't come up for food as readily. Do you think earthworms or fish would be good?
Scoot

Post Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:47 pm   Re: Help pink/red spots on shell

Earthworms or fish would be better nutritionally than the crickets. The chlorhexidine is for the exterior of the shell, so I'm not sure if you can do fewer of those... but check with your vet first.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care