General Care Discussion :: New W.Painted Not Active

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:12 pm   New W.Painted Not Active

Hi,
Friday, the 7th, I received my new turtle and was so thrilled to meet him/her. I'm new to turtle keeping but have been researching for months on how to care and where to get them. One thing all my research did not cover was new baby turtle behavior.

I'm worried. I can understand the baby may be extremely frightened in the new environment, but still, the lack of activity is unsettling. I have him/her in a 5.5 gallon tank, for the moment, I do have a 29 gallon but wanted to start out with the smaller first. Temp is 77F, have UVB and basking lights. Basking temp is 91F. I have an external canister filter and the water is clear and moving. It's treated with conditioner. The turtle is eating, thankfully. Been feeding pellets and bloodworms. Also included a Repti stick.

Friday morning my turtle was active when I opened the shipping package and I was very grateful. But it was a very long night for the both of us. I've tried to keep my distance and only interact with the turtle during feeding time as he/she really does seem skittish. Saturday was a long day too of watching and worrying. Sunday he/she perked up a bit, ate much better and seemed more at ease. But today, not so much. My turtle has been on the basking dock most the day but head has been down a lot and not looking around as much.

Here's a couple pictured from today. Image Image

Please let me know how I can help my turtle.
Kim75

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:59 pm   Re: New W.Painted Not Active

The pictures didn’t load and I know you said he’s eating, but was it actually witnessed? How much space is he getting? Painteds are not as outgoing as RES, but he might just some more time to adjust. A common mistake for new turtle owners is to pick them up too often, hovering over them, tapping on glass, etc. he might just be a little stressed from his trip and being in a new home.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:51 pm   Re: New W.Painted Not Active

Yes, I fed him in another location. He has a good deal of space for a 5.5 gallon. I'm trying the pictures again.

I've done all the three you've said "pick up, hover and tap". Dang. What should I do about feeding time? Feed in the tank?
Kim75

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:13 pm   Re: New W.Painted Not Active

For feeding, you can do it in the tank but it's good he's eating out of as well. I would probably do the messier foods out of the tank if you can. For the other stuff, just do it more discreetly, especially during this adjustment period. I'd also save yourself the trouble and get that 29 gallon ready.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:09 pm   Re: New W.Painted Not Active

Ended up contacting the breeder and they told me to put plants in so he can hide. I did and he's a new turtle. He's full of it, lol and I'm so relieved. Decided to name him Louie. Works if he is a she too, lol.

Thanks for your help, Steve. And I feel the 29 gallon will have to be set up for sure very soon. Louie is growing fast.
Kim75

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:30 am   Re: New W.Painted Not Active

Sounds great. Just keep in mind turtles should grow slowly but beg aggressively. It's best to be very conservative when feeding pellets/protein.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion