General Care Discussion :: Help! White spot on my RES' skin

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:37 am   Help! White spot on my RES' skin

hi,

I've noticed a white spot on one of my RES' skin. She's very active and won't hold still so I couldn't take a good photo, but I'm leaving a video here. If anyone can identify what it is I would be grateful. I'm thinking it's skin fungus but anyway I would like another opinion.

VIDEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htsQIx- ... Y0Jlst6i3w

PHOTO

https://imgur.com/a/vihPm3u
bogdancvejic1

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:06 am   Re: Help! White spot on my RES' skin

Looks like skin fungus to me too. Does she have a tank mate?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:11 am   Re: Help! White spot on my RES' skin

Yeah, she does. The other one doesn't have anything on it's skin, tho
bogdancvejic1

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:06 pm   Re: Help! White spot on my RES' skin

Then it might be from a bite mark. Fungus treatment should be straightforward though.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:46 pm   Re: Help! White spot on my RES' skin

Well, I doubt that's a case because there is no history of aggressive behaviour in 15 years, that's how long they're living together. I'm dry docking her and rubbing the white spot with providone-iodine solution. I'll see what happens.
Does it look serious, btw? Should I be worried?
bogdancvejic1

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:49 pm   Re: Help! White spot on my RES' skin

I can't tell how serious it is from the picture, but it looks like you caught it early. How long are you dry docking for her? As for any aggression, it can happen at any time.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:06 am   Re: Help! White spot on my RES' skin

I'm dry docking her from the morning until the end of the day.
bogdancvejic1

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:40 am   Re: Help! White spot on my RES' skin

should I apply silver sulfadiazine?
and one more thing I've noticed on her head

https://imgur.com/a/D5rog1M

it looks like an injury of some sort, like the skin is peeling. I applied the iodine there too. It looks worse when it's dry, like in the picture

thanks for the answers
bogdancvejic1

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:06 am   Re: Help! White spot on my RES' skin

and one more thing, there are no sign that she's in pain when I touch the white spot on her leg nor that on her head
bogdancvejic1

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:24 am   Re: Help! White spot on my RES' skin

The spots on the head look pretty bad... not sure what kind of infection does that. Ideally you can get her blood tested for any signs of what's going on. I'm not sure I would put sulfadiazine on that right away, having it dry out might be the best thing for her. For dry docking, I would probably increase the hours... if you have a nice, dark and quiet spot for her she should be able to rest.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:34 am   Re: Help! White spot on my RES' skin

well I can't get her blood tested due to the fact that I live in a small European country, and there's no vet in my town that deals with the exotic animals. I could eventually go to the capital city, but only when the covid-19 situation is over. :(
So, you think that's an infection? As I remember, a few years ago, she had something that looked like a wound in the same spot, it was reddish and looked like a cut or something but it went away. I can't remember if I put something on that spot.
bogdancvejic1

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:47 am   Re: Help! White spot on my RES' skin

The discoloration makes me think it's an infection. It looks like what RES get with a shell infection (water, debris trapped under a scute) but I don't recall seeing this on the skin. Plus, there isn't much flesh on top if the head so it's hard to know how it happened and what it is. Usually with skin issues its best to have it dry as much as possible but there is a bit of mystery as to whats going on.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:03 pm   Re: Help! White spot on my RES' skin

In the picture I've sent you, there was iodine applied a little before so it was not completely dry.

here's a dry picture
https://imgur.com/a/cKpiIaG

it looks strange. It's nearly the same color as the skin, it looks like the skin dried out and cracked. I will see what happens in the following days. Thanks a lot for the replies, because there's no one here to talk to about this. :/
bogdancvejic1

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:06 am   Re: Help! White spot on my RES' skin

Hopefully it just looks worse than it is, but you might want to think about a quarantine tank so her environment is extra clean. Is she good with basking?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:42 am   Re: Help! White spot on my RES' skin

well, they were indoors the whole winter, in a tank that's not too big, since they got bigger over the years. The other turtle basks normally, but this one doesn't do it as often in the winter. But the temperature is getting warmer now and they're gonna be outdoors 24 hours. At the moment, they're outside until the night, because the temperature falls down later. She basks normally when they're living outdoors. I think she'll heal outside, when the summer comes, and for the next winter I'll need to make a bigger tank with a better basking spot.
bogdancvejic1

Next

Return to General Care Discussion