General Care Discussion :: Problem in the shell??

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:23 pm   Problem in the shell??

Hi everyone!

My slider is 1 year and 9 months.

Some days ago I saw white scars on the vertebral scute. I thought it was a scratch but now the white zone has grown. Nowadays, I don't know if it was a scratch or not initially, but I think there's something wrong with his shell and I'm worried :( The shell is less colour, as it has a white patina

I share with you some photos so you can see and understand what I mean (a bit blurred, sorry, he doesn't sit still) and ask you what do you think it could be and what can I do.

Thank you so much for your help in advance.
Attachments
IMG_7285.JPG
IMG_7287.JPG
IMG_7288.JPG
IMG_7292.JPG
IMG_7293.JPG
IMG_7295.JPG
IMG_7296.JPG
Laura84

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:25 am   Re: Problem in the shell??

Are you talking about the raised part down the top middle? That looks normal. I would cut down on the food a little, and maybe give the shell a gently cleaning. Is he basking?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:50 am   Re: Problem in the shell??

Hi Steve,

Thank you for answer me.

No, I'm worried for the general white/pale colour of carapace. It has increased in the last few days. He usually has brighter carapace (compare the photos) and I'm worried it could be an infection (although the carapace is not soft).

_20200507_12410.jpg

He's basking as usual,yes. Regarding food, could it be possible that maybe, if I'm giving him too much food, the shell won't have time to grow properly??
Laura84

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:26 pm   Re: Problem in the shell??

He could be getting ready to shed soon, that would cause a golden-like look to the shell. Steady and consistent feeding would be best. Too much food cause fast growth and stresses the organs. It could also cause permanent shell disfigurements.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:33 am   Re: Problem in the shell??

Thank you again, Steve.

After reading I think that, as you say, maybe is that he's going to shed (uff, relief!).

Anyway, I'm going to change the diet a bit. I've read an option that I think it would fit for both: one day pellets (I'm going to reduce to 1/2 head size) and one day veggies.
Laura84

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:03 am   Re: Problem in the shell??

You can do veggies everyday ...pellets too if you reduce the amount. I normally use veggies in the morning so they can digest while basking. I've also found that feeding at the same time of day will help reduce begging.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:45 am   Re: Problem in the shell??

Thank you! I feed him the same time everyday. I like the idea of give him veggies in the morning if it's better for digestion.
Laura84

Return to General Care Discussion