Habitat - Indoor :: New lighting recommendation please

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:00 pm   New lighting recommendation please

This is first post since making our introduction; sorry I don't do FB so hope someone's around for suggestions. Missy is 5-years and 9-inches; she just moved from 90gal to this 120gal tank. The old tank basking area was down in the tank, so only 60gal water. New tank has above tank basking area shown and she's doing well with it. I'm running Exo Terra 100W daylight bulb for heat in the mini dome and Exo Terra 26W UVB in the deep dome. Temperature at the surface of the wood is 92F; water temp is 78F.

I was reading elsewhere about a "wet side" basking area and I was thinking about making her a platform on the right side of the tank so she could could be partially submerged and have overhead lighting of some kind (replacing the shown Marineland LED bar with heat/B). Is this common/is anyone else doing this? I was thinking about another UVB lamp and a lower watt heat lamp to get to 85F or so. This would run daytime along with the main basking area. The alternate idea I had for the wet side is a night time heat lamp, but I doubt she would do anything with that.

So any benefit to additional light/heat or leave it alone? She just got her scratching block today; you can do a lot with PVC and zip ties. Sorry about the duplicate attachment; I can't figure out how to correct it.

Overall.jpg
New tank before adding sand

Zoom.jpg
Overhead looking at log and light bar

Overhead.jpg
Detail of basking area access

Overall.jpg
New tank before adding sand
Attachments
Brick.jpg
Shell scratching brick
DaddyFlip

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:20 am   Re: New lighting recommendation please

Missy doesn't need a partially submerged basking area. If she doesn't want to fully dry off, then she can hang on the ramp. Usually when they are hatchlings, you would want a couple of spots where they can rest, but they can soon effortlessly swim and float in their tank.

I'd make sure the heater is submerged to the correct point (it looks a little high in a couple of the pictures) and make sure she doesn't get carried away with the brick as it can easily damage the shell or beak.

One other thing, check to see if your electrical cords are in a "drip loop" position. It's a safety function when you are dealing with electrical equipment and aquariums.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:13 pm   Re: New lighting recommendation please

Thank you for noticing the other things. Yes, the shown electrical was temporary. The permanent setup has a four foot power strip on the back wall with all the cords hanging below the strip between the tank and the wall, where there is a 10-inch gap. Where the heater looks to high, the picture was taken during a water change and the heater was unplugged; good eye. I am watching the new brick. She has been scratching on it, which is good. I made the ramp rock flat so she has to reach a little more to get to it, so that should reduce her scratching intensity. I've also put up a 24-hr livestream with motion and sound alerts so I can watch her more often. She's always been a skittish basker, so I like to make sure I don't walk in on her when she's up top. The new camera let's me check ahead of time without leaving her door closed all the time (she has her own bedroom).

At first, I felt responsible for being caretaker after daughter married away, but I've quickly started to enjoy the hobby and looking for ways to improve the experience for both of us. Thanks!
DaddyFlip

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:37 am   Re: New lighting recommendation please

I have a skittish baster too, it can be somewhat annoying whenever I have to pass the tank... never know what's going to happen. Good idea with the camera, the tech has come a long way. I've also added a wireless water alarm under my tanks... even a slow leak would be a lot of trouble.

Glad you are enjoying being a turtle keeper! Sounds like you've planned very well. :)
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor