Other Turtle Discussion :: Turtles+Manicure?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:02 pm   Turtles+Manicure?

Hello I am back again :roll: . I have another question. How long are turtles nails supposed to be and can they get too long? My turtles Crabby and Mudkip have extremely long nails (to me anyhow) and I was wondering if I should trim them and even if I can or should? Oh and they loved their cuttlebone. They gobbled it like mad. Remember I mentioned trying out greens on them? well they are not fancy on that but I will keep trying. They are great eh? Gotta love em. :D
Kites rise highest against the wind, not with it.- Winston Churchill

Nature provides exceptions to every rule.- Margaret Fuller
Sweeney

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:22 pm   

Nope. No way. Never trim their nails. It'll do more harm than good! It may cause pain and infection. If they're really long (like Edward Scissorhands long) you've probably got boys :D
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:48 pm   Thank you

Thanks for that. they look really really long. I thought I had females. How do you tell? also how do you measure how big a turtle is? Front to back or side to side? Man it gets so confusing. :shock: Glad I found this site. its amazing. :lol: :lol:
Kites rise highest against the wind, not with it.- Winston Churchill

Nature provides exceptions to every rule.- Margaret Fuller
Sweeney

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:41 am   

front to back of shell.
From the homegrowers soul, straight to his lungs. That's the method that I myself find fun. Start from seed and then you'll see, just how fun homegrowing can be.
da sAUCE!

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:17 am   

Minus the curve of the shell :D
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:21 pm   

cute SKF my goats need blocks and rocks to kinda keep ther hoofs filed so my guess is if a turtle needed anything nature provides the file? never even crossed my mind they might need it cats dogs birds etc. do so very good question, and, answer.
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:38 pm   

Thanks, I like to draw, makes me feel like a kid again. :D
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:18 pm   lol

haha good one skf :lol: :D
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:20 pm   

The long nails on males are secondary sex characteristics (and very attractive to females) and they shouldn't be cut. They flutter them against the females' cheeks in what is the beginning of the "mating dance." But males will flutter those long nails at each other, and if they're not sexually mature, it's more a display of dominance than mating.

BTW, also look at your turtles' tails--the males will have thick, sturdy-looking tails with the cloaca (anal vent) closer to the tip of the tail than the shell. :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Other Turtle Discussion