Other Turtle Discussion :: Don't know what I'm gonna do now

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:19 pm   Don't know what I'm gonna do now

Sittin here just observing my turts. They get along quite well. The tank is smaller than I'd like but my landlord won't let me upgrade. He says it'll be too much weight on one spot on the floor :roll: I don't totally believe that, but frankly, if it went crashing thru the floor and killed the woman downstairs I'd feel really bad for those turtles.

Anyway, I'm sittin here watching them and one bit the other on the nose. It wasn't an aggressive bite, but I didn't like the looks of it. What in the world do I do? There is no way I'd be able to fit another tank in here, and yes, I realize that when you buy 2 turts you should be prepared to separate them at a moment's notice, but I knew nothing about turtles when I bought them. So what are the alternatives? I really don't want to get rid of one of them...I just wouldn't be able to choose. There's nowhere even to put a rubbermaid or anything like that..my apartment is quite small. Ideas?
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:58 pm   Hmmm....This one hard

can you ask your landlord if you can make a pond in front of the house/apartment track? It would look really nice and attract customers to rent there with a nice pond filled with turtles. :D I would want to live there if there was a sweet pond around to enjoy. Or you can move to somewere else. Or you can come up with a really impressive power point display, explaning the structural integrity of the building you are on. Then she/he will let you put a bigger tank in if she sees that it can take it. Or you can just get a bigger tank and not tell him/her about it.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:24 am   

how big is your tank now?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:02 am   

It's only a 50 gal right now. Turts are 4.5 & 4.75 inches. Small, I know, but the buggers grew so fast! They were hatchlings in september, now they're monsters. Also, I thought we'd have moved into a house by now so I didn't think this would be a prob :cry:
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:23 am   

Are you looking for a house right now? If you are planning to move soon then i wouldnt build a pond. I know sometimes it takes a while to find a house but you should start looking at alot so your turtles can have a better home. We looked at 110 houses b4 finding a house to live in. And i must say it was worth the wait :D . no other house we looked at had a 270 deegree view! :D
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:25 pm   

We're going to move asap. We just have to pay off a few things before we can get a mortgage. There is no room for a pond in the apartment yard. I don't trust the kids around here anyway. They break into the building, into the cars and I've had my car keyed 3 times..God only knows what they'd do to a turtle if they got their hands on it.
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:49 pm   

Could you use Rubbermaids and somehow "stack" them? By this I mean have one on the floor and one on a sturdy desk/table etc. above it? Someone once posted a picture of their garage that had quite a few turtles in it. A number were in their own Rubbermaids and he had them on heavy-duty shelving one above the other, I assume to save space. Of course each turt would have to have their own equipment...
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:35 pm   3 Times

Your car got Keyed 3 TIMES! wow those kids must have no life! Good thing you are moving away from them. PPl just dont have respect for anything anymore! :twisted:
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:04 pm   

the stacking idea is a no-go because again, all the weight would be in one spot. thanks tho. I'm just going to keep an eye on them and work on payin this junk off so we can get out of there.
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:53 pm   

one solution maybe this.......seen one on here even. build a platform above your tank for basking area. its not heavy and it gives the turts the whole tank for swimming in. I saw one at a friends house made from a plastic bowl,one end was cut off the bowl astro turf was used for a ramp to get out of the water,it was attached with silicon to the edge of the tanks rim lighting was above all that. the bowls sides were high and slick enuff no turt could escape it worked and she didnt need to buy new filter tank etc.....if you can create make one custom fit from plexi glass your building up light weight and expanding room. whatcha think?
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:06 pm   

yeah I talked to my brother in law about building one because I'm not very handy. It'll give them a bit more room but not much. the tank is 3/4 full already but it'll definetly be an improvement. I just hope they like it tho because the last time I changed their basking area they refused to use it. Picky lil buggers.
jenaero

Return to Other Turtle Discussion