Feeding and Nutrition :: Dandilions

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:08 pm   Dandilions

I was wondering...wat part of the dandilion do i feed my turtle? Do i feed him the fluffy part, or the leaves at the bottom of it?
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:22 pm   

if you're talkin about dandelions from your yard, they can eat the whole thing. Some turts won't eat the flower tho. You can also buy dandelion greens at the grocery store. BTW, if you're using flowers from your yard, make sure there was no pesticide used.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:24 pm   

The fluffy stuff would be the seeds, you can feed it the petals and the leaves.

I hope that helps. :D
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:24 pm   

The dark green leaves are the part that has calcium and beta carotene. :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:38 pm   Great

Ok my mom dosnt use any sort of pesticides in our yard (she thinks it's the devil). So i'll give my turt some today.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:37 pm   Goood

I gave my turtle some of the leaf and some of the flower. He is munching on it right now. It looks as if he is leaving the flower and eating the leaf. I put alot in the tank so i dont expect it to be gone for a while.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:31 pm   

I've never read of anyone who has said their RES likes the blossoms. But I've heard of land turtles and tortoises liking them.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:16 pm   Dandilions

I noticed that dandilion leaves are very prikly, will this irritate my turtles throat at all?
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:21 pm   

I've sometimes bought dandelions and the leaves were big and rather tough with tiny "hairs" on them--these my RES does not like. Other times (like the other day) I found some that were smaller and tender with none of the tiny prickers, which were quickly eaten. Look for smaller, tender leaves if you're picking them from outside.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:46 pm   

I read somewhere that the dandelion leaves get bitter when they are older, so you need to pick them when they are still young. :D , ofcourse, how to tell a plant's age is another matter. :lol:

Here is a quote about dandelions:
Collect dandelion leaves in early spring, when they're the tastiest, before the flowers appear. Harvest again in late fall. After a frost, their protective bitterness disappears. Dandelions growing in rich, moist soil, with the broadest leaves and largest roots, are the best. Select the youngest individuals, and avoid all plants with flowers. Some people eat the greens from spring to fall, when they're very bitter. Others boil out the summer bitterness (and water-soluble vitamins) out in two changes of water. It’s all a matter of preference.

Dandelion greens are wonderful in salads, sautéed or steamed. They taste like chicory and endive, with an intense heartiness overlying a bitter tinge.

From: http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants ... elion.html
Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:50 pm   

The leaves get bitter when the plant blossoms.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:34 pm   Hair

ok i will definatly try to find the leaves without the "hair". :D
GouzlanTheAmerican

Return to Feeding and Nutrition