Other Turtle Discussion :: Turtle Is Board :(

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:24 pm   Turtle Is Board :(

:( My turtle is only about 1.5 in. All he dose is bask. He never goes on the water except to eat and cool down. I want him to enjoy himself while he has all of the room to play in. My mom wants me to get another baby turtle, But no matter how many times i tell her she dosnt realize how big thease turtles get! Plus she told me that i cant get a bigger tank. I have room for another turtle right now but i wont later. I can build a pond outside for him though, but it will take a while for me to get the money to buy the supplies :( . Is there anyone who can give me some ideas on wat to do to keep my turtle happy and young?
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:12 pm   

Mine like to play with ice cubes until they melt, and love to chase around the rosie red minnows. I know some people have said theirs like ping pong balls, and those air wall things.

Mike
Reyna - 2.25"
Orion - 2.25"

Were 1.3" and 1.4" when I got them on May 12, 2005
therizman1

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:38 pm   Hmm

i tried usin a ping pong ball but it is pretty big compared to him so he is afraid of it. I I also put ice cubes in but he dosnt pay attention to them. I used to have a bubble bar but i just changed him to a bigger tank so i dont have the bubble bar in yet. He likes to chase bubbles around. I havent tryed feeder fish yet cuse he is too small to get them. I'll put the bubble bar in and see if he likes it still. I need to get a bigger outlet because i am out of places to plug stuff in.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:19 pm   Boo

I hooked up the bubble bar. But he is still basking. I dont want my turtle to turn into a square. I'll try to get some feeder fish and see if he wants to chase them around. I think getting him a pal would be the best idea but i dont know how long it will take me to save up enough to get a pond.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:28 pm   

How big is he? My littlest was 1.25" when I got him and was eating fish. Youd be surprised how fast they can move after one when they want to, and they learn how to hunt... sit on the bottom and wait for a fish to swim buy and then grab it.
Reyna - 2.25"
Orion - 2.25"

therizman1

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:30 pm   Re: Hmm

GouzlanTheAmerican wrote: I havent tryed feeder fish yet cuse he is too small to get them.

I'd get a fish or two - mine are hatchlings (both under 2 inches) and catch rosies all the time :)
sigywigy

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:14 pm   ok

Well when i ask for feeder fish at petco they give me baby gold fish. Are gold fish the same as rosy reds? Do they look the same? The gold fish are the ones in that tank divided into 3 parts with millions of gold fish swimming around. I dont know if they are goldfish, i never asked.... But i am assuming by there color. :P Or do they sell rosie reds seperatly some were else in the store?
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:18 pm   

gold fish are tooo fatty not good food for a turt. ask for by name rosy red minnows they are cheap feeder fish or get feeder guppies. my turts nearing 1.5 inch the first 2 days she did not eat the roseys the next 2 all 6 were already gone so I put plants and things in with 12 roseys and 4 guppies all guppies are there and 9 roseys and its been 6 days. she does chase em alot and they tease her and steal food lol
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:27 pm   

My two little guys seem to greatly prefer the rosey reds. They actually dont even seem to bother with the guppies anymore unless they are stealing their food. It should be interesting now though, because my guppies just had babies, so there are about a dozen little baby guppies swimming around the tank so should be interesting to see if they eat those or if I just end up with a huge school of guppies.

Another idea is to maybe change their tank around occassionally so they have no stuff to investigate. I am going to change my tank around this weekend. Mainly because all the rocks I have in it are just collecting dirt and I dont like all of that dirt in their with them. So they will have lots of investigating to do. Plus I am going to building a little cave for them underwater so they can hide easier. I just got some roofing slate at work so that should work perfectly. Ill post some pics Sat or Sun in the picture area of the new setup and Reyna and Orion. :D
Reyna - 2.25"
Orion - 2.25"

therizman1

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:14 am   K i'll ask

Ok i am going later today to get some feeder fish. One thing about guppies is they multiply really fast and they dont die. My dad had some and he wanted to get rid of them but he couldnt. He even poured bleach in there but all it did was turn the guppies white. I 'll tell yu those things dont die! I am going to try and get some rosy reds.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:59 pm   

I think it's you, not the turtle, who is bored. They love to bask! Just let him be.
Chris

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:11 pm   Maby

I dont know...today he has been in the water and active. I didnt get a chance to go to petsmart today cuse my mom was to tired, but i am going tommorow. I think that he basks all day cuse he dosnt have anything else to do. I probably spend more time on here than actually waching him. I am starting to pay more attention to him and he is starting to like me more. Thats the way i figure it.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:01 pm   

They are aggressive baskers, it's what they do. If your turtle is healthy, I'm sure he's perfectly content basking. Chris might have a point--are you sure you don't want him to be doing something more active so you'll be more entertained? :D
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:05 pm   

My thought exactly, I personally am amused with whatever they do, especially how they dive into the water when they see me even though they already know who I am...maybe they don't like my mustache :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:24 pm   Cool guy

I just got back from the pet store with 5 rosy reds and a big bunch of anacaris plant. I dont think it was me just wanting him to do something because he was basking for 4 days straight including at night when the light was off. He is way more active now that i pay more attention to him. Turtles have some much character, i just simply love them. One of the feeder fish died on the way home so i threw it out. I named all of the fish squiggles (i beleve everything should have a name no matter wat there life is like). I think the fish are chasing him more than he is chasing them, really cute!
GouzlanTheAmerican

Next

Return to Other Turtle Discussion