Other Turtle Discussion :: Can turtles go deaf?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:11 pm   Can turtles go deaf?

I was wondering if turtles have sensitive hearing? I like to listen to my music kinda loud and my turtle tank is about 15 feet away from the speakers right around the corner. I dont want to hurt my turtle though so i always turn it down a bit for my turtle.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:29 pm   Other

Turts can feel vibrations through the water and on land and can also hear noise. Their eyesight is what they depend on, mainly. Walk near a bunch of turts basking on a log and watch how fast they slide off into the water, hence the name"Slider". If you roll the base up on your music, that would bother your turt alot. Normal or a bit loud music without alot of base would be okay.
Turts 'ears' can be damaged with abcesses which are caused mostly by dirty water. Wait till the 4th of July and put your turt outside and watch it [----] its head at the loud reports. George :D :D
Oldturtle72

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:33 pm   Alright

Ok i will turn the subbwoffer down a bit then. I dont listen to music that loud. But i wanted to make sure that my turt wasnt super sensitive to noise. Well I hope my turtle likes heavy meatle so we can rock out together! :x
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:43 pm   Drum Set

I forgot to task about the drum set right next to my tank. I probably shouldnt play it right?
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:00 pm   50-CENT!

My turtle seems to like 50-CENT candy shop!!! Bouncing his head to the beat!
JK, BUT HE DOSE LIKE IT WHEN I TALK TO HIM. SEEMS LIKE HE LISTENS TO ME. VERY INTELEGENT ANIMALS :D
Last edited by GouzlanTheAmerican on Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:05 pm   Other

Good Grief, Gouz,
If you are so afraid of harming your turtle with noise and the turtle is interfering with your lifstyle, either get rid of the turtle or get a new lifestyle. OR----Throw the drums out and the woofers and become a hermit. Try, if you are able, to imagine what your turtle would hear if it were basking on a log in the middle of a small pond. Would it hear the noise or feel the vibrations from some sub-woofers? Would it hear someone playing drums right next to its log? Would it hear a tree fall in the forest? If you think for one instant that loud noises and vibrations would not bother your turtle, then you are wrong. They do and they will. I don't know of another turtle owner who would deliberately subject their turtle to the kind of tormenting noise that you are to your turtle. You asked-----I'm telling! George
Oldturtle72

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:23 pm   DONT WORRY I AM TANKING CARE OF IT

i AM EITHER GOING TO SELL MY DRUM SET OR MOVE IT INTO THE GARAGE. i HAVENT PLAYED THE DRUMS SINCE I GOT MY TURTLE THOUGH. I AM NOT BLASTING MY MUSIC ANYMORE EITHER. BUT I AM MAKING SHURE THAT IT IS OK TO LISTEN TO MUSIC LOUDLY (WHICH I NOW REALIZE IT ISNT!).

I HOPE I AM NOT MAKING YOU GUYS MAD, I HAVENT PLAYED LOUD MUSIC SINCE I GOT MY TURTLE SO HE HASNT BEEN STRESSING OUT LIKE YOU DESCRIBE OLD TURTLE. pLEASE pLEASE DONT GET ME WRONG IT WAS JUST A HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION.

I FORGOT WAT ELSE I WAS GONNA SAY THOUGH SO I'LL GET BACK TO YOU GUYS ON IT IF I REMEMBER.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:25 pm   OHH YEAH

OK NOW I REMEBER WAT I WAS GONNA SAY

HERE IT IS: SORRY ABOUT THE CAP LOCK I FORGOT TO TAKE IT OFF.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:11 pm   Other

Hey, Gouz,
Chill out, man! Every time you posted, it sounded like the noise was already being fed to your turtle. You spoke of woofers and drums like it was an ongoing thing with you and your turt. Has someone passed your house driving a car with the base turned way up so that you hear a deep throbbing so loud that it hurts your ears or have that same or another person pull up next to the car you are in with the same deep throbbing. If you are in the house next time that happens, look at the glass in the windows facing the street. You can actually see it pulsing with the beat. Now the glass in your tank is not the same as window glass but the same dynamics prevail. The pulsing of your woofers or your drums will set up a harmonic vibration that will harm your turts ears. There is only a very thin membrane covering the openings over its ears and therefore its hearing is acute and can be harmed , just like those fools driving around with the amps blasting out are harming their ears. Okay, Gouz? Nuff said on that subject. I think, all in all, you got the situation well in hand. George
Oldturtle72

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:37 am   Dont worry

I got it now, I wont ever blast my music when my turtle is around. I know wat you mean about those idiots blasting there stupid rap music. Very annoying. :( I never blast my music that loud, not even close. I just realized that there is a 300 wat bass amp facing my tank. But dont worry it isnt pluged in. we are moving stuff around in our house and i think it is just in here temperaly. Plus if it was hooked up it would never be turned up. We almost never use it, and when we do it is on super quite. The more i look around the more i see stuff that we have to get rid of with the turtle here. :( ohh well i love my turtle more than i love those "things". :D
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:32 pm   

Don't worry 'Gouz', you will find that the actual moderators are quite patient and tactful with there response to our questions. Its obvious that you care alot about your cuties and thats what matters.
turteywordy

Return to Other Turtle Discussion