Other Turtle Discussion :: When turtles attack...

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:05 am   When turtles attack...

So, one of the turtles that I am watching has been very, very spoiled. My friend hand feeds her. Now she's used to being hand fed, and it's kind of cute, and not really that much trouble, so I went along with it. Messy stuff she can eat on her own, but I feed her carrots and reptomin sticks by hand.

She's about an 8 inch turtle, and every once in a while she misses and bites me. Usually with animals, the best thing to do is relax the hand because fighting will make them bite down harder. Without any reason to think turtles would be otherwise, I have generally taken this approach.

But it hurts! Usually it takes her a minute or two to figure out I'm not food. During this time she will often relax a bit and then bite harder. She has yet to draw blood, and I'm not worried about sustaining any permanent injuries, but I'm wondering what the best way to deal with a clamped on turtle.

Obviously, I'm more concerned about her saftey than mine. I can stand a few turtle bites, and most of the problem I've fixed by becoming more skilled in how I feed her. But what is the best way to un-latch a turtle, and the safest way for them?

Pi
Pi

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:09 am   

Mine aren't that big yet, but they are biters! I know it can be painful but the best way is to just wait for her to let go. Maybe feed her with tongs next time? I know the natural reflex is to get your hand out of there, and I have a few times. Then I realized that I could have easily sent a turt flying across the room and smack into a wall :shock:
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:31 am   

my big girl's like that. i do tease her alot by waving my fingers in front of her face and she would make a half-hearted attempt to bite my fingers :oops:
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:49 am   

your turt might know you're not food, but from what I understand, they have to fully clamp down with their jaws before they can let go... dunno if that's accurate, but that's what i've been told.
bradhart

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:58 pm   

Rather than try to pull my finger out of the turtles mouth, I think I'd gently try to go in the opposite direction (push in just slightly). I would think it would may the turtle try to push the finger out. (I've never had to try this with my RES, and hope I never do.) :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:29 pm   

is it ok to use rubber or leather gloves when feeding her? if it won't bother her, maybe that would spare your hands a bit=).
jezzell

Return to Other Turtle Discussion