Other Turtle Discussion :: Basking

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:59 pm   Basking

Is it normal for turts to bask more than swim?
TurtleMan17

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:01 pm   

It really depends on the turtle. If the water temp is too cool then he may stay under the lamp more for the heat. What are your water and basking temps? Water should be 78-80 for a hatchling, 75 for a yearling or older. Basking temp should be at least 10 degrees warmer than the water. For my two 10 month old turts I keep the water at 75, basking at 90.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:32 am   

I donk know what the temp of the water is, however, i do know its not even 70 degrees. how do i heat it?
TurtleMan17

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:02 am   

that's dangerously low. Go get a water heater. They'll be in the aquarium section at the pet store. On the back of the package it should say how many watts you need for your size tank. And get a thermometer for the basking spot and for the water. Temps are VITAL to your turtle's health and we can't be guessing.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:03 am   

go to a pet store and buy a submersable heater. they have a dial that keeps the water at a constant suitable temp.
bradhart

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:04 am   

get a thermometer to tho. Some heaters just aren't accurate. I have to set mine at 80 to get the water to 75.
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:32 am   

WOW! I better get a heater. Any idea on price? and how are they powered?
TurtleMan17

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:43 am   

Electric. I can't remember how much mine was but they're not very expensive. They range from affordable to insanely expensive depending on brands. Tronic is the brand I use and I've never had a problem with it. It's one of the cheaper brands.

If you get a glass heater (Tronic is glass..most are) you'll need a heater guard but make sure it's the right size to fit the heater. The guards are just plastic and fairly cheap. You might as well go get yourself a surge protector/power bar too because you'll have a lot of stuff plugged in. I have to use one or else I'll keep blowing fuses.
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:57 pm   

Make sure the heater says it's fully submersible (I've been looking lately and some don't). Allow about 5 watts per gallon of water (a 20-gallon tank would take a 100-watt heater).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:28 pm   

Thank you for all the info. Well of to petsmart i go.
TurtleMan17

Return to Other Turtle Discussion