Other Turtle Discussion :: New Friend For Otis

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:51 pm   New Friend For Otis

Okay, I just ordered a new friend for Otis from turtlesale [not reputable].com. I guess "he'll" get here on Thursday. I'm really excited.....I just hope that there's no problems with him!!!!! I tried to get a Rio Grand RES from Turtle Pimp but he's out until July, and his shipping fee is outrageous! So we're getting another regular RES.
"Mom" of Otis and Willy
NewTurtleMom

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:51 am   

I'm wondering if his shipping is outrageous, or proper... I'm always worried of how people ship turts.
bradhart

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:30 am   

The site I used said they package them in a plastic container, and then surround it with wet paper or something to help control the humidity. They guarantee live arrival with a 1 week gaurantee after that. Is that the proper way for shipping? I think the other guy did them the same. I think I saw somewhere on here that other people have used this same breeder with much success.
"Mom" of Otis and Willy
NewTurtleMom

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:51 pm   

I would ask them if they guarantee "Healthy" arrival :D
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:07 am   

They do say that all turtles are hand picked and inspected and are guaranteed to arrive alive, healthy, and active. Seeing as I bought the last 2 at a souvenir shop under horrible living conditions, I would assume that one coming from a breeder would be healthier!
"Mom" of Otis and Willy
NewTurtleMom

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:02 am   

I dont think I'd get a mail order turt... just the idea of shipping a turt in a tub of water turns me off
bradhart

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:56 pm   

I guess some of us cajuns "don't know no better."
"Mom" of Otis and Willy
NewTurtleMom

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:06 pm   

they don't ship them in water. They're packed nice and cozy in a container with wet paper towels.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:26 pm   

nice how there's 2 lagoons on the home page.

did you read their legal section? i would never buy from them or anyone else who sells them online.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:02 pm   

Like I said, "us cajuns don't know no better." I would rather buy one off the interent than catch a wild one (been there, done that) who is not happy in captivity at all.

Yes, I read their legal section. So did my husband who is an attorney. He felt that they were 100% justified in everything they said in order to cover their a#$ in case anyone ever decided to sue. He sees way too many law suits flying around that really are not neccessary, and because of that, corporations (or whoever) have to say things like that "just in case." Kind of like the hot coffee thing at McDonalds. Every idiot and their mother knows the coffee is HOT. But because of some crazy person, they now have to STATE that it's HOT!
"Mom" of Otis and Willy
NewTurtleMom

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:05 pm   

why not just buy one in a local pet store?
bradhart

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:20 am   

They haven't sold them here in pet stores in years. Petco was the first to get some, and they were about 6", but they didn't look all that healthy. Plus I wanted a hatchling. I was actually shocked to see them at Petco, and I already had purchased Otis in FL when I found them there.
"Mom" of Otis and Willy
NewTurtleMom

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:33 am   

If it were me, I'd try to take one from a turtle rehoming/rescue agency.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:03 pm   

I didn't even know about any of these options until AFTER I got Otis. I then figured for health reasons, I would be better off getting one from a breeder. That is what was actually reccomended to me. Please keep in mind that I'm new to this and am obviously pretty ignorant about RES, their care, and the best way to acquire them. I'm just doing what I thought was best, but what's done is done.
"Mom" of Otis and Willy
NewTurtleMom

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:11 pm   

No criticism intended, NewTurtleMom.:) Just something to consider as an option. Turtles from reputable agencies are healthy, and I've heard of some places working with new owners to make sure the turtle is getting the best care possible.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Other Turtle Discussion