Other Turtle Discussion :: Can't take temp of basking area

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:54 am   Can't take temp of basking area

I tried checking the basking temp this morning (putting water therm. on basking area) and my turt keeps taking it off!!! I'm convinced he just doesn't want to share.... stuborn turt.
bradhart

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:03 am   

take your turts out for a few min and put them in a container or something so you can get a proper reading. Mine do the same thing and I have to take them out to get a reading.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:07 am   

methinks jen checks redearslider.com before work, like I do
bradhart

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:09 am   

I'm at work :oops: I spend 8 hours a day in front of a computer..this is my relief. :D
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:21 pm   

I have a question about this topic.....I have one of those stick on thermometers on the tank right over the basking area. It reads about 85 (water stays around 78). Is this probably NOT an accuarate reading NOR the best way to get a reading? I know the temp's a little low and am going to get another regular household light today to put in that area, but am I checking the temp correctly?
"Mom" of Otis and Willy
NewTurtleMom

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:02 pm   

You'd get a more accurate reading if you took a rock the size of your turt (height) and put a thermometer on it under the light and left it there for a bit. Even an inch can make a difference.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Other Turtle Discussion