Photo Gallery :: Ralph

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:59 pm   Ralph

Hi Everyone,
Here are some pics of Ralph. He is an 8 year old RES but he is barely 4 inches. He had a rough upbringing. I've had him for 3 years. He was about an inch when we got him. Still not sure if he is a female or male. Leaning more towards male but I could be wrong.
You can find out more about Ralph in my other post in the introductions section.
:D

ImageImage
scooby74

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:41 pm   

He is a cutie :)
Thanks for sharing!
~turtle_mommy~

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:55 am   

i think that he is a she. cant be positive from the pics but i am pretty shure. a guy would have realy really long claws, and a really really big fat tail. 'it' lookes happy otherwise.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:51 pm   

Ooooh, that is how you tell.... :)

Then I think that Franklin is a male, he has a massive tail on him :)
~turtle_mommy~

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm   hey

:shock: so the way you can find out if your turtle is a gurl or boy is when you touch or look at its bottum [or the bottum of the shell]if its curved in its a boy and if its flat iits a girl the red ear slider and what evr kind of turt my other is there both girls but they might not bercuase the 1st 1 i got is 1 year old and the other is any 2month old so... and i live [ariginally]in indiana but i spend my summers in kentuck so in kentucky theres a lot of nothing and i have a pond and stuff like that in the yard and the 1st i caught in the pond but the other i got it from my friend across the street wen she got of the bus there were 2 but she had to let 1 go it wouldnt eat and she gave me the last 1 [she s not the turt type well i hope you reply bubi now see you[tlk to you] klater [/b]
is there a chance that my tank is getting to cold?
systemofadown_s8trchic

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:33 am   

using the curve of the shell is not an effective way of telling for aquatic turtles. in aquatic turtles the curve can vary alot more than other turltes.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:02 am   

did you check out the posting on turtle sexing?? I found a site that has pictures to show you what to look for...

http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:04 am   

it doesnt really matter twoard the tail reall but neither to the nails yes the tail can give you hinds and answers but the nails if they get long enough to were he is or she is walking on them and NOT his feet they need to be cut and just when you go to pick him up does it hurt your hand or when hes wlking in your hand does its hurt worse than what is usually was?
systemofadown_s8trchic

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:04 am   

kewl!!
systemofadown_s8trchic

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:37 am   

Don't cut their nails.
scooby74

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:28 pm   

you either got to the placey place were they do that or get them rocks yes!
systemofadown_s8trchic

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:24 am   

the rocks when that they climb on them it shortens them like in the wild yes but if they dont get short like that you go and get them cut or trimbed ONLY!!!a LITTLE though NOT LOT :D :D :shock:
systemofadown_s8trchic

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:41 am   nails

steve wrote:I think it would be very painful and unnecessary. I have heard that some people clipped them but I cannot imagine doing so.

marisa wrote:Those long nails are meant to attract females during the mating dance and as such nature intended for them to be that way. If you're thinking of cutting them because you get scratched if you have to pick him up, use a towel. :) (The long nails don't bother my RES in the least. Sometimes he stands with them folded under the rest of his paw.)

jenaero wrote:Never clip their nails. It could cause pain and infection.

Oldturtle72 wrote:Question I've got is--Who would be around to clip nails of wild turtles and so, if that's the case, why is it necessarty to clip a captive turts nails? I don't think it would pain the turt unless you cut into the blood line, but the whole idea of clipping is pointless. Totally unnecessary! George

Here is some information from this site, and I have also read other places not to cut their nails. It is cruel and pointless. Do you hold your Turtle properly? They should never scratch you. Or just get a towel like it says above.
scooby74

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:34 am   

i dont cut mines i let them go i dont no how your trien to prove me rong but yes your rite unless you cut into the blood line it really doesnt hurt and i have to females so it really doesnt matter if they do the dance or not they sholdnt there gurlz i have no intend to cut there nails just that some people like to keep theres perrrrrrrr fect and all i have picture of mines so if you wana see go to photo gallery and look 4 cinderbella and mr.myrtle
systemofadown_s8trchic

Return to Photo Gallery