Other Turtle Discussion :: how to convince the "rents"

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:28 pm   how to convince the "rents"

I really really want to get one and my mom said she'll consider it but when i brought it up again she said no! i don't like that answer and it's not like she has to pay for it so i don't understand

please please help :( :cry:
ellie12101

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:41 pm   

turtles are a lot of commitment. One could end up like a friend of mine, who wanted the novilty of a turtle, but soon lost intrest when she realized how much trouble they are. now he's not recieving adequate care. And, they cost a load of money to take care of. I've spent well over $300 (got a really good deal on a 40 gal tank) on my res so far. Usually a new tank can cost anywhere from 100-800 bucks. Not to mention tank upgrades, light replacements, decorations, food, time, effort, getting sick when siphoning water out of the tank (I drank quite a bit when I fisrt started using it),vet bills,medication etc. etc... Having enough money to buy a turtle doesn't mean you have enough to maintain a turtle.

just my humble opinion. I wasn't allowed to have pets until I moved out of my parents house. Now I'm taking full advantage of it with a RES,2 degus, a cat, and soon a few firebelly toads. :)
bradhart

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:39 pm   

How old are you? If you could get a part time job to support your turtle that might be a good idea. They really are very expensive. I've spent over $1000 in the past year. My husband and I both have full time jobs and sometimes it comes down to whether WE go out for dinner or the Turtles get a new uvb light. The light alone is $80. The turtles always win that one.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:10 pm   15

i'm fifteen but i have a job and am applying for new ones
ellie12101

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:52 pm   

We bought a turtle about a week and a half ago on an impulse buy while on vacation. I'm not a person to do things half way, so I started researching on how to take care of it after we got home. I was shocked by how much work was involved but flew right in to providing it the best living space I could. My husband on the other hand thinks I've lost my marbles somewhere by how much I've been researching and being concerned over the new baby. He often reminds me "it's just a turtle". I know that he wouldn't have let me and the kids buy him if he had known beforehand how much work that Koopa was going to be. But lucky for me, now that we have the little guy my hubby will always give in when it comes to taking care of his needs.

Just read all the post on here about feeding and environment etc, before comitting so you know exactly what you are in for.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:57 pm   

I believe that parents don't say "no" because they want to be mean (well, at least most parents), they usually say no because they know that most kids, even mature ones, will eventually get bored with the pet and they (the parents) will end up either trying to find it a home or taking care of it themselves, in my case, I was the one who bought the turtles, and since my nephews got a new puppy, they don't really bother with the turtles anymore, but I have always taken care of the turtles so that wasn't a big deal for me. :D :D
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:30 pm   

Jen, my girlfriend and I are the same way. Our rule is 'pets before people'. They get everything they need before we buy anything for ourselves.... We decided on that when we first got the RES, and hate it when we want to go out for dinner :)
bradhart

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:42 pm   

Hi Ellie, first do not cross-post. Ask a mod or me to move a post for you if you think you put it in the wrong section.

Anyway, can you commit time, money and physical space? Are you prepared to keep a RES for around 20 years or so? Is there a qualified herp vet near you? Are you willing to spend hours on research?

As everyone said, turtles are a huge commitment but can be very rewarding.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:32 pm   

very big commitment! i am 15, and i am just getting a job. and i love my turtle. but i am not like other ppl. i never get "board" of pets. heres wat i would do if you really want a res. write out an essay (small essay) on pros and cons. like wat would be the ups and downs of having a turtle. when i show that that i want to have something so bad that i will write a small few paragraphs then they will know that i am serious about it and they almost always give in. :D
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:18 am   

I wrote an essay today, but they wanted a list of rules and regulations to follow in order to keep a turtle, like cleaning room and such, what do you think should be one there?
ellie12101

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:01 pm   

Heck that's easy, my room is cleaner then my parents.
TexasJagsFan

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:44 pm   

same here i keep my room super clean every day. so they want you to clean your room and other things so that you can have a turtle? hmm... i am not shure wat you mean by "rules and regulations."
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:46 pm   

As a parent, I think I'd want some sort of proof you're going to accept responsibility for the turtle. What will happen to it should you decide to go away to college?? Will you be able to take it with you or are you going to expect them to pitch in and take care of it for 4 yrs? Sometimes its just best to wait until the decision is totally yours and no one elses :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:49 pm   

i think that when i move away to college someday. that i am gonna build a pond here, and my mom and dad will feed him and make shure he has everything nessesary. they agreed to that, but i will have to pay for the pond supplies and such.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Return to Other Turtle Discussion