Other Turtle Discussion :: Im going on vacation for 2 weeks, what should i do about the

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:23 pm   Im going on vacation for 2 weeks, what should i do about the

Im going on vacation for 2 weeks, what should i do about the turtles. Is there something like a food block I can leave them?
classic toaster

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:15 am   

You could have someone come over and feed them.
TexasJagsFan

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:06 pm   

Are they small? If so, for that length of time, I'd have someone come in to feed/check on them at least every other day. If they're bigger, a bit less often. I'd put the lights on timers and clean the tank and filter well before leaving.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:20 pm   

they are one and two years old
classic toaster

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:31 pm   

I'd leave a detailed feeding schedule, put the light on a timer and have someone that I truly trust check in on them every couple of days. If it were only a week, I'd say feed them a little extra the day you leave, leave plenty of veggies and feeder fish in there but 2 weeks is kind of pushing it. Is there anyone around that you trust enough to check on them?
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:20 pm   

With your instructions, I'd add a warning to whoever you get to watch your turts.. babysitting them is what got me addicted and then my daughter from watching mine.. LOL
Last edited by cam722 on Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:13 am   

okay ill find someone.
classic toaster

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:59 pm   

It would also be good to instruct them on the operation of any equipment in the tank with them (filter, etc.) in case there's a problem.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:24 pm   

[quote="cam722"]With your instructions, I'd add a warning to whoever you get to watch your turts.. babysitting them is what got me addicted and then my daughter from watching mine.. LOL[/quote]

I can attest to this. That is exactly how my and gf and I became involved with our res. It's only been 3 days since we started sitting someone else's and now we have an 80 gallon tank almost ready to go.
jdub1107

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:24 pm   

my brother watched mine for the last few weeks when i went on vacation and now they bought some but yeah i think the only think is to find someone to baby sit some times the vet will or if you can find a family owned and operated rep store they doit to we have one and i love it
Danielle :)
Owner of Stinky 5 and Foxy Cleopatra 4
djaaconn

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:46 pm   

I fill little paper cups, like the kind they have at McDonalds for ketchup, with the amount of food for the day. Makes it much easier for the kids we always have watching the guy. HIDE THE FOOD CONTAINER. Kids always succumb to begging, and they WILL feed more.

I forget about feeding veggies for the duration of the vacation, and have them feed less food every day.

For a few days, like three or less, I feed a bit extra before leaving, and just let him fend for himself for the weekend.
ohiolobo

Return to Other Turtle Discussion