Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: 4 Fostering Sulcatas

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:47 pm   4 Fostering Sulcatas

Hey, I'm sorry I haven't been around lately, been busy with adopting, files, papers, baby, and school

Since Mups, my earlier young Sulcata, I have been working on a sulcata habitat that I may foster sulcatas in because there are so many sulcatas here in Long Island that get thrown away once they get a bit too big for the house.

I adopted 4 sulcatas today, 1 male and 3 females (Thanks goodness) and I will be fostering them until they go to a home that will be able to care for them for the next 100 years. If not, I will keep them

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:43 am   

They look great, I think Jen needs one for her reptile room. Are there a lot of NY'ers keepingSulcatas? (I'm thinking some people have way too big houses.)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:12 am   

I showed your pics to the hubby...he just gave me 'the look' :lol:

Nice torts btw
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:05 pm   

there are more sulcata owners in ny than you think steve. Here alone, in almost 70% of all the pets tores I visit to help with the herps, they have tiny 1.5 inch sulcatas selling for $150 and people with little children bring them home everyday.
The fact is, unless you have a huge indoor housing area (which is sometimes impossible for these guys) they are going to be offered to zoos and centers, which most likely will not take the sulcatas in.
And because of the climate here, it's not the best idea to house them outdoors. It's sad on how many sulcatas in Long Island alone is being so mistreated. Don't get me wrong, there are many of the herpetologists and hobbyists that I work with that have sulcatas, but only fostering them like I am.
The plan here is to keep them in our care until we can get them transferred to humane societies and adoption centers in the Texas and Arizona area.

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:47 pm   

Wow, great pictures! I love Sulcatas but don't have the means to care for one (I live in Michigan). If I ever got transferred to Arizona permanently for work, I would be very tempted!

Funny how a tortoise would appeal to me more than a dog or cat, but that's just how I am!

Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures and good luck with your fostering!
Kristin's Pond! Starring:

RES = "Sheba", 21+ yrs. old
African Clawed Frog = "Prog", 10 yrs old
& "Kristin" as Momma
industrial_girl_2000

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:34 pm   

WOW I love Sulcatas, and was looking in to them, like possibly adopting one or two from a rescue, but for right now I don't have the set up they would need. I plan to fence a very large area of the yard (we have over 4 acres) and turn it into a turtle garden that my red foots can enjoy in summer. I am thinking about offering to foster/rescue other turtles and torts once everything is done. We are also fencing a decent sized pond for water turtles.
-Jodi

One by one the animals are stealing my sanity
z-chic

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:16 pm   

If there was any way to get one down here to Florida without me driving all the way I'd take one, I have a little 1 year old girl and would love to have another girl...if I have the room for one then I have the room for 2 or 3! LOL We almodt went to Tallahasse about 4 hours away to get a full grown but it was a male and I knew someone who had a male and wanted him. I want only another girl.
11 res,2 Cooters,4 Sulcata,2 ybs,1 Ornate wood,2 Common musk,1 melanistic slider,1 striped mud,1 russian,2 japanese pond, 2 3 toe box, 2 Black Woods, 3 Vietnam pond, ,1 western painted,2 reeves,1new guinea snake neck,2 Miss maps, 1 African helmeted
Turtle addict

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:19 pm   

They are so beautiful and adorable! I will be able to provide enough of everything for a Sulcata someday, and I can't wait!
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
scripta_elegans

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:19 pm   

I love Sulcatas! They have their own mind about things. Great looking kids! Thanks for sharing.
Kristin's Pond! Starring:

RES = "Sheba", 21+ yrs. old
African Clawed Frog = "Prog", 10 yrs old
& "Kristin" as Momma
industrial_girl_2000

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:13 am   

Cool Sulcata's! I would want one but the spacing would be an issue, i guess thats the problem with everyone else and they just don't realize that they will get bigger. One day if i own a big house i will be sure to adopt a turtle and give it, its own room if not the basement!
Owner of 1 RES, He officially over 1 year old!
4Lancer4

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:53 pm   

While nosing about a local pet store for my res and other assorted pets, I encountered my first sulcata and fell in love. Since then I have read everything that I can get my hands on. I am waiting untill I can set up the type of environmant that one will need before getting one, but I want one so bad that I search out every thing that I can find about them so far.

I have not found as much info as I would like and was happy to read more about them from people that acculy work with them.

The pics are beutiful.
wilamh

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:54 pm   

If i knew I would live 100 years with out losing my mind and have lots of land i would love to own some Sulcatas. They are just so peaceful.
[color=darkred]W[/color][color=red]h[/color]a[color=blue]t[/color][color=green]s[/color] [color=cyan]t[/color]h[color=olive]e[/color] p[color=orange]r[/color][color=red]o[/color]b[color=cyan]l[/color]e[color=green]m[/color]?

1 RES
Cripm88

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:32 am   

HOLY MOLY! How BIG are those guys?! They Look HUGE~! Sooooo Kewl!

1 RES - Tobi-Girl 12" (13 yrs), 1 Cat- Julie (5 yrs), 3 Dogs - Hannah (8 yrs) & Jack (7 yrs) LadyBug (4) PLUS 1 Daughter & 1 Hubby... :)
camee1991

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion