Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: housing for russian tort

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:49 pm   housing for russian tort

hi everyone, i am thinking about getting a russian tortoise but in the future this is a little short term goal of mine :D . what i want to ask is if i could house one in one of those underbed sterilite storage containers? I saw one the other day at target and it was very long and wide very nice for a tort just that it isnt that high but i was thinking that could be solved by putting something around the rim taht would be able to hold the lamps they need, do u think this would be ok? Thanks for your help.
almmaaa

Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:13 am   

Here is the setup I have for my 3toed box turtle. It's a 46gal rubbermaid. It's good to buy one that is fairly deep because they can try to climb out. Obviously, you'll be using a different substrate but I wanted to show you what kind of tub I use.

Also, here's a good care sheet for a russian. It gives you the lowdown on diet, habitat and all the other good stuff.

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-russian.htm
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:05 pm   

Cool, you got natural grass growing in there? Hey where's the turtle? :(
DavidY

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:16 am   

Yeah the grass grows pretty quick too. Dog was under his log at the time..sorry..lol
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:11 am   

Does he eat the grass? I love those kinds of mini-ecosystems, where the animal can eat the plants that grow in the tank while the plants feed off the waste from the animal. It's a mini-circle-of-life! :D Although it still usually needs our intervention to keep it balanced (i.e. some cleaning, watering, light, supplemental feeding, etc.) but not as much as a totally artificial environment.

Can you post another pic of your box turtles...pleeeeeaaaase. :D
DavidY

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:18 am   

Actually, you'll find several sets of pics of all my herps in the Photo Gallery....just gotta look for my name on the post :-) Don't wanna hi-jack this thread any more than I have..
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:31 pm   

You're gonna make me work for it huh? :? he he!

(after seeing the photo threads)

Oh yea, I remember those pictures now! Nice animals you got there Jen! The one's of Dog running for his breakfast were cute. :D

Ok sorry about contributing to the hi-jacking...back to the Russian Tortoise thing...
DavidY

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:10 pm   

Thank you for the info, I really like your set up.
almmaaa

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion