Online Links and Deals :: Are you a Petco or Petsmart shopper?

Found a great deal or something useful? Link us up! Do not solicit business here.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:33 pm   

No problem. You've got good grammar/spelling and interpretive skills. :D
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:33 pm   

There are no Petcos near me so I have to use PetSmart and Pet Supplies Plus. Both stores are a rip of IMO but ordering online and paying the $10 shipping will be the same price as getting it in the stores.
1 Pekin Duck- Bumby
1 Adult Midland Painted Turtle- Nyx
2 Hatchling Midland Painted Turtles- Gimli, Marvolo
1 Normal Gray Cockatiel- Egore
Bumby's Mom

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:08 am   

we don't have petco here and i try to avoid petsmart - i hate big chains that don't know/care about what they're selling.

i use big al's alot because they're close by or a local pet store where they treat all their animals really well. i'd rather give them my money that the big american chain stores.
flyjawn

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:31 am   

Wow, resurrection of an old thread ...

So, in general, in all of the areas I've lived, Petsmart is cleaner, with both having similar pricing. However, there is a Petco in this area (in Clifton Park, NY) that is the nicest major pet store chain I've ever seen. This place is clean, well organized, and they even have healthy looking RES for sale.

But that Petco is a bit of a drive, so I normally go to the nearest Petsmart. Now today when I went in to buy some cuttlebone, they had some RES for sale, the one looked like he was near death, the other two looked fine. It looked like poor tank conditions, but good luck finding a sale associate that cares.

I love the nearest aquarium specialty store to us, though. It's called Eddie's Aquarium, it's near Half Moon, NY, they have these gorgeous RES set up, I don't know if they are on sale, they are huge females. Their store is super clean, but very expensive. They did have an excellent price on the aquarium we bought there though!
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
TheComputerGremlin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:43 pm   

There's a store called Wet Pets relatively near me that I've started going to. They're mostly fish (and have some gorgeous aquariums) but also have started selling some basic turtle food (like Reptomin and Hikari). I've gotten supplies from them that I haven't seen anywhere, including big als. :D
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:24 pm   

Pet Smart, theres no Petco here.
1 runt RES-3 1/2 years old
TAHNEE

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:38 pm   

i actually liked petco better when we were living up north...at least the one we went to up there had good customer service and was never busy....that store also had *the* coolest turtle set up i've ever seen in a pet store...it had to have been 80-100 gallons worth of water and this huge flat rock looking thing anchored into the side of the tank near the top the turtles could swim under w/ basking light above it....prolly helped there was a girl that worked there that was real into turtles and owned a couple herself (we had a long discussion about 1st time gravid females)

down south....i'm totally indifferent....if i'm looking for something specific i'll go to either then get mad go home and spend an hour trying to find it online again :)
1 RES--patsy (7" ~ 10-11 yrs old)
2dogs
1 cat
1 baby girl : )
mackadocious

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:38 am   

Huh, in my neiborhood its the oposite of what most others here have observed...the Petsmart is OK, but the PETCO is a much nicer store. They keep it cleaner, the animals look healthier and they have really knowledgable helpful staff. They really take their time explaining things and helping me make decisions. Accually before I found this site when I first got Sylar an employee OFFERED to let me bring him in (I did NOT get him there) so she could look at him. Her other job was working with turtles at a park. She explained basic turtle care to me and helped me start getting set up. She also recognized the early signs of RI. I might not have my little turtle now if it wasn't for PETCO. Another employee helps me all the time with my gecko and frog. He offered to have me bring in the gecko now that its getting bigger and have it sexed. But I do agree, Petco does tend to be just alittle more expensive then Petsmart. I just relized today I got majorly ripped off for my UVB bulb at Petco when I saw the prices at Petsmart! And my one pet peeve at the Petco is they never seem to have Rosy Reds!
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:54 pm   

imderanged wrote:Huh, in my neiborhood its the oposite of what most others here have observed...the Petsmart is OK, but the PETCO is a much nicer store. They keep it cleaner, the animals look healthier and they have really knowledgable helpful staff. They really take their time explaining things and helping me make decisions. Accually before I found this site when I first got Sylar an employee OFFERED to let me bring him in (I did NOT get him there) so she could look at him. Her other job was working with turtles at a park. She explained basic turtle care to me and helped me start getting set up. She also recognized the early signs of RI. I might not have my little turtle now if it wasn't for PETCO. Another employee helps me all the time with my gecko and frog. He offered to have me bring in the gecko now that its getting bigger and have it sexed. But I do agree, Petco does tend to be just alittle more expensive then Petsmart. I just relized today I got majorly ripped off for my UVB bulb at Petco when I saw the prices at Petsmart! And my one pet peeve at the Petco is they never seem to have Rosy Reds!

My Petco always has Rosy Reds. Other than that I second you.
Take-One

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:20 pm   

Petco seems to be cheaper, but slower , and everyone at PetSmart around me seems rude and crude.

So petco it is. And I have 2 within 2 miles of my house!
-Sara
(Mom of 4)
ShellyLove

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:49 am   

Unfourtunatly petsmart and petso are the only pet stores close to me. Other "better" petstores are atleast an hour away. what a rip off. Anyway petco usually has less in stock but more up to date fish, supplies, etc. Petsmart is just a little cheaper tho. It really depends where you live.
rrcoolj

Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:17 pm   

I will never buy buy from Petco! I bought some feeder fish there a while back. I asked the kid at the counter for a dozen feeders and while he was getting them, I looked around the store for anything I felt the urge to purchase. I came back to the counter and the kid had them in a paper bag ready to go. When I got home, in the bag with the fish was a dead carcass of either a large feeder fish or a pleco. Regardless it had been dead for quite some time as there was no color and little skin left to it. I didn't feel safe giving the feeder fish to my turts (who knows what disease the dead fish had died of and now infected the other feeders).

I called Petco to complain and the lady said they would be sending out 25$ gift cared in an effort to gain back my trust. I never recieved the card.
MrRedmanbhs

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:38 pm   

Only have a petco close bye but they seem to be very helpful when i go in with any qyestions and never try to sell u things that u dont need and some of the smaller shops around here will do that.
I am an animal lover and the turtle makes a great pet for my 2 little kids who love to watch him swim and eat and think it is great that he pulls himself inside his shell.
shuck1311

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:42 pm   

personally i'm a petco shopper,
i think they take better care of the animals.
i went to petsmart a few times, and they had a few
different types of turtles together, including a few RES
and they only had like....not even an inch of water.
i complained to the manager, and she said she'd fix it,
then iw atched her go and mock me to another employee.
2 RES- Squirtle and Blastoise
6 dogs- Max Cooper Abby, Oscar, Sparky, Reebok
1 White's Tree Frog
1 Tiger Salamander- Remington
1 Hamster- Rhino
xfueledbykatie

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:03 pm   

I'm trying to quit going to petco because they are totale d word to people. The d word that picks on me because I buy the stuff that my animals need to have the Correct care. He says " You don't need this water heater, The basking light, The dock, The filter, Or the eye drops ( Even though I told him that he cant open his eyes.) He is the one who also told me when I was talking to him and I asked him a question (I like to quiz petco and petsmart :twisted: ) and he said " Ummm... They have scales? The question was how big of a cage do you need for a Crested Gecko?!!! Sorry but most of them are just stupid teenagers who like to put people down who actually know about herps. Also I thought this was funny. I was about 5 and I asked one of the workers there if there was any herps that could live together he said " You have herpes?" Lol :lol: .
reptile dude007

PreviousNext

Return to Online Links and Deals