Online Links and Deals :: glasscages.com Question???

Found a great deal or something useful? Link us up! Do not solicit business here.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:02 pm   glasscages.com Question???

Hi All,
Is anyone familiar with the way glasscages.com works? I was thinking of buying the 50G Long aquarium from them, but I am confused about their shipping policy.

I see that the cheapest option would be to get it from their trucks (for like $48 ) but how does that work? Would they come by and I pick it up from them at a certain place? And how long would it take?

Finally, how would you rate your experience with them? Are they trustworthy?

Thanks!
RaytheonLiszt

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:05 pm   

As I understand the shipping, you can either pay to have it shipped to you via some carrier or if you will be along their drop route, you can pick it up from their truck. Looks like they deliver to Los Angeles often. http://glasscages.com/?sAction=Deliv

It's best to email them and they can help you work out shipping, even if you haven't placed an order yet.

They seem very trustworthy with excellent products and their prices are very good. I plan on getting my largest tank from them in the next couple years.
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
TheComputerGremlin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:53 pm   

For that fee, I think they drop it off local at reptile shows (look for a list on their site for location/dates). Overall opinion seems very good.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:01 am   

I recently ordered from them and I recommend them. They basically only deliver to large cities. If you want to have them deliver you have to meet them at an established pick up point in a city on their route. In Houston it seemed they stopped at several locations around town and made drop offs. It is really informal. Basically you order and then wait for them to call you and let you know where and when to pick it up. It feels a bit clandestine ( :twisted: ). They will only drop off at off route locations for very large orders. (I live between cities and asked about a pick up on one of the major highways they travel - the answer was a kind 'sorry')

Just as an FYI - dedicate some time for the pick up. They may be late, face traffic, etc. Also there were far more people than I expected picking up aquariums. Basically if you are first out of the truck that is great - if not, you wait. Also take a vehicle that can hold the tank and blankets, etc to protect it from scratches in the car/truck. It was frustrating to have to wait while folks tried to get a 100 gallon or so long tank into a toyota! Jeshhh :? and I totally forgot to bring anything to cover it or pad the tank in the car.

The tank is great though. Heavy glass, well sealed and their customer service is very good. I called to get some advise on cleaning the tank. They were very helpful. I also changed my order just a couple of days before they left for delivery and they didnt bat an eye. Very service oriented small company. Also they have great prices.
Mom to:

1 RES - Tuck
3 Cats - Max, Theo, & Smokey
Lots of mollies and platies
1 Pleco - Spot
1 brand new betta
AND
2 very wild and creative 6 year old humans!
mat012

Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:34 pm   

Thanks for the detailed info! I'm sure it'll be very helpful for potential customers.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:42 am   

To add to what mat012 was saying about drop offs "along the way" I found out from them that the reason they will not stop at arbitrary locations is that their driver is just that, a driver. He will not unload/load the tanks into your vehicle. I was told that they expect all the people picking up tanks to help each other with unloading/loading.

For any Canadians interested, they currently do not cross the border, and the closest they come is Detroit.
1 RES, Spike (In new home with 1xPleco, 1xRed Zebra Cichlid, 1xYellow Lab Cichlid)
2 Cats, Blossom & Panda
2 Tropical tanks (plecos, platies, tetras)
2 Handsome Blue Bettas, Blueberry & ?
1 Bright Red Betta, Strawberry
1 Feeder guppy breeding tank
Fuzzy Hamster

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:08 pm   

Ah, thanks everyone! I'm going to see if I can get that 50G Long then ;)
RaytheonLiszt

Return to Online Links and Deals