Photo Gallery :: New tank !

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:22 am   Re: New tank !

Lol it's exactly where I found my ponds! I already asked them for a few quotations and infos
PokePony

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:10 am   Re: New tank !

8)
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:47 am   Re: New tank !

Oh my God it's been TWO YEARS! I wanted to post a lot earlier but I just drifted away... I want you guys to know that I did buy my ponds and my turtles have been living their outside life for more than a year now! Each pond has it's own little area and plants (citronella to repel mosquitoes), a pump, filter and UV light for algae. :msgreen: :msgreen:

Building process:
https://preview.redd.it/825rj2fajey51.j ... c0c1fdd61e
End result:
https://preview.redd.it/8fe3tkvajey51.j ... d7d2626b84

I am trying to take pics of my RES but ever since they went outside they become a lot more skittish, because they barely see me anymore. I'll try to take them out this week!
PokePony

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:01 am   Re: New tank !

Thanks for the update! Did the whole process go smoothly? Have you changed what you are feeding your turtles?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:21 pm   Re: New tank !

steve wrote:Thanks for the update! Did the whole process go smoothly? Have you changed what you are feeding your turtles?

Hey steve! :)
It took about 3 months and it was a mess. First few weeks to set the ponds in the ground and have the enclosure installed. It was rainy season so for a while I didn't do anything else, except plant some citronella. But I put my turtles outside anyway because it became urgent. They started to fight to the death and Shellby was living in a plastic container with no filter, I had to make a complete water change every weekend.

Anyway... then the frogs came :evil: It took me a couple of weeks to find a method to keep them out. It was awful, I couldn't sleep. My turtles killed some of them. But at least they are gone now! I put a grey sarlon around the enclosure to block them. After that I got a friend to help me set up the pumps.

Honestly I thought my turtles would be a lot more freaked out to be outside all of a sudden, but I guess all these strolls in the garden helped because 2 days after being in the ponds they started to get out and walk around. And no I haven't changed, I still be giving them pellets, but I found this new brand that gives an assortment of pellets, veg pellets and a bit of dried shrimp. Actually really want to put some water lettuce in there so I can take the green triangles off, and see if they would munch on them.
PokePony

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:08 am   Re: New tank !

Hey back :)

The fact that they adapted quickly means they must really like it. My RES usually clam up a bit when they are outside. What is a "sarlon"?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:24 pm   Re: New tank !

Ah sorry, this is a very Mauritian word :lol:
It's like a very thick fabric that is made for outside. You can see on the second picture, it's the grey thing around the enclosure!
PokePony

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:29 am   Re: New tank !

Oh, that makes sense. Glad it worked out :)
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Photo Gallery