Page 1 of 2

what a save!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:51 pm
by kneecole
I know I haven't posted in a year or so. But I just had to share this.

My fiance and I were on our way home from lunch this afternoon and I saw on the side of the road a huge slider trying to cross. This is an extermly busy road and they are building 3 sets of condos and a Super Wamlart so all the ponds are being filled in. I believe she may have been looking for a safe place to lay eggs. As soon as I saw her on the side of the road I told my fiance to turn around. We picked her up and took her home with us to release in the lake behind our apartment. I haven't felt this great in a while! What a feeling to find such a beautiful creature and release her somewhere that you know she will be safe.

Image

Image
There were two red sores on the bottom of the shell. Most likely from the hot road and scooting across it. I'm hoping these will be able to heal on their own.

Image
2 seconds after I let her back feet hit and half the body hit the water she had those legs out swimming away as fast as she could!

Image


It's probably unrealistic with such a huge pond/lake... but I'm hoping I might be able to catch a glimps of her ever now and then.....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:54 pm
by kmichael55
That's great, especially if her ponds are getting filled in...damn developers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:58 pm
by marisa
She's a beauty. :) Glad you were able to remove her from danger.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:08 pm
by Skadica
I wonder if she use to be someone's, then they get rid of her because she was to big.

And I wish I had a pond like that behind my APT. All of ours are fenced in, and the water a few feet down from the wood walls that make the pond.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:11 pm
by Safdar
Wow, good luck to her

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:29 pm
by kneecole
Skadica wrote:I wonder if she use to be someone's, then they get rid of her because she was to big.

And I wish I had a pond like that behind my APT. All of ours are fenced in, and the water a few feet down from the wood walls that make the pond.


Yeah she probably was someone's pet at one time.

The pond is really nice. It's huge too. About 100 yards across to where those houses are, and then about 300-400 yards long. There are a couple other much smaller ponds in this complex that I've seen 2 or 3 sliders in. Which I'm sure those were someone's pets at one time as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:27 pm
by ninja_turtle
that is such a pretty turtle! and im surprised at the size of it. im glad that you picked it up and released it back to a safer environment. that's such a pretty lake! :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:29 pm
by lotsofpets
She's a really pretty cooter. I hope you get to see her around!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:30 pm
by Skadica
Nicole, I noticed you live in Jax, where do you get your supples? I live near Jax and I have to drive there to get anything anyway, do you know anything that is better than Petland or Petsmart?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:31 pm
by Tenodera
WOW That's a BEAUTIFUL lake! I'm sure she'll love it!

She looks like a yellow-bellied slider. :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:42 pm
by turboturtle8
Yeah she was probably looking for a safe place to to lay her eggs.

That is so nice that you did that.I am sure she is happy to be off of the road :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:48 pm
by megcornell
She's beautiful, she must love her new home :-)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:37 pm
by DavidY
Wow that turtle was huge! Nice save! :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:26 pm
by madmax1
Great Job! Wish I had a big pond like that in back of my house!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:39 pm
by Terryo
Beautiful pictures. Very lucky turtle.