We finally have a yard the turtles can walk around in, so Taro went for her first stroll this weekend.
Re: Going for a walk outside
Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:55 pm
by dumbork14
Cool! Don't take your eye off your turtle, though. They can easily blend with the surroundings and may play a frustrating hide-and-seek game with you. Turtle-1; Turtle owner-0.
Re: Going for a walk outside
Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:35 am
by steve
Looks good, but yeah you will be surprised how easy it is to lose track of them out there. They move faster than you think, and can dig/bury expertly... not to mention climb and squeeze into impossible places.
Re: Going for a walk outside
Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:12 am
by kamekichi
Haha, I was worried about that too. That's why I'm too nervous to take Yawara just yet - he's a fast little guy and won't hesitate to take off! She was pretty sneaky too. The first time, she just walked on top of the grass and explored. When I picked her up and moved her because she was too close to the neighbor's yard, that was when she started digging and crawling around under the grass and plants. It was pretty cool to watch.
Re: Going for a walk outside
Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:33 pm
by steve
Yea, I wouldn't have two turtles outside without a solid enclosure. They can even accidentally collaborate on their escapes.
Re: Going for a walk outside
Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:19 am
by kamekichi
I don't believe for a second that such collaboration would be "accidental" after watching these sneaky little reptiles!
Re: Going for a walk outside
Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:57 am
by dumbork14
Re: Going for a walk outside - Yawara's turn!
Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:42 pm
by kamekichi
LOL I love it!!! That's my new desktop wallpaper right there!
Today I decided to tempt the fates and take Yawara out. I sat him down in the grass and there was very little hesitation - he just started running around. He's still so tiny - every time he got stuck on something, he yank himself up and either barrel over it or turn around and race off in that direction. Obviously, I had less chances to get pictures since I had to keep up with him, but I did get a few!