Photo Gallery :: Korny from Bihać (BiH)

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:17 pm   Re: Korny from Bihać (BiH)

For only being with turtles 1 year you are way ahead of some others in this hobby. I preach observing well , some don't get it and only see a turtle when it's feeding time. Since they can't talk there actions are the only way to communicate with us. He/she sounds happy , good job ! Doing turtle things . Will be showing more of it's ways down the road. Watch and there will a day there's something he like's only in it's place. My Piggley would always move this one piece of driftwood . I tied it to a brick when he was 5" big to see what would happen. I put it all the way on other side of the tank... I watched for a hour , using his front legs a few pushes , when they got tired used his back legs then his left side then right side . All the way back to where it was. That was with a regular brick tied to it ! Being back where he wants it , the brick is now off , he has never moved it again or I . He won !!! Even as a 1" baby he was like that but too small to move big things. Didn't stop him from trying , so I adjusted. Center hole in that driftwood is one of his sleeping spot's and the top is his feeding area. It's a stock tank and my chair is next to it. I hang my hand in it above that driftwood and he sit up there playing with my fingers. He has a dry dock to watch TV on. I train a baby with a TV on to get use to the noise. Now Piggley wants the TV on all day , he like most shows. His basking area is located were he can watch TV also.

This works for feeding your size turtle ( A Baby Still) . The 2/3rd rule for the protein side. A good/high quality food ! An amount that would fit in 2/3's his head if were empty , not including its neck. Also being 1 year old about say about 2 to 2 1/2" in size a piece of leaf lettuce the size of it shell. Never too soon to introduce veggies. This is a day . You can divide that amount into two servings but that amount only. Feeding a turtle goes by size not age and will need to be adjusted all the way to adult. By that time should be on 60-70% veggies and protein every other day. Better to feed a little less than over feeding that causes all kind of health problems inside and out. Make sure all in the home knows this and maybe make a little sign by the food saying already been feed ! Careful on any treats , use rarely. With a baby I rather see a treat as two or three extra pellets. (OR) You could skip the veggies being still almost a baby and use all protein if a good / high quality pellet , an amount that would fit his empty head size a day . But once about 3 to 3 1/2" diet will change a little and veggies should be use too. Myself always introduce veggies early , that's just me. Babies growing very fast need the high protein and adults are vegetarians with protein maybe twice a week.

The begging is hard for me too and I have 55 years with turtles. Now a days once feeding is over and the begging still going on I just play with Piggley until his mind is off food. Work's for us. Observe well and prevention is the key's in this hobby. You are doing great !!
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:56 am   Re: Korny from Bihać (BiH)

I just wanna say, are the yellow flowers in your tank? They look so nice!
PokePony

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:15 am   Re: Korny from Bihać (BiH)

PokePony wrote:I just wanna say, are the yellow flowers in your tank? They look so nice!

It's plastic, I sometimes put them in because Korni loves to levitate above them in water.

litefoot

I read you post couple of times and laughing so hard, because that kind of stuff my Korni does. I hope I take good care of him.

I was suppose to take care of him only for two weeks, for a friend, but he stayed with me, because I didn't want to give him back, because My friend and her daughter weren't taking good care of him. I didn't want to get attached to him, but how could you not. When he came he was so small and fragile and shy, didn't eat for two weeks, didn't want to come out of his shell, nothing. They brought him in a bowl with a few shells around, he had puffy eyes and was so stressed out. I thought that's what turtle is suppose to be, but then my friend started joking like LET HIM WALK AROUND, HE LIKES IT, HAHA HE FELL A FEW TIMES FROM TABLE TO THE FLOOR....and then I realized they were actually abusing him, because he wasn't getting a proper care. That's when I started reading about turtles, and what they were supposed to look like, what they are supposed to eat and how to live. So I called my friend and told her all of that, and that I won't giving him back and that they were hitlers for turtles. Then he started to eat a little but only shrimps because it was the only thing they fed him so he didn't know anything else, he started to be more active, he started to respond to my face and voice. By that time I got really really attached to him, but then he got really sick, I searched the web and find out that he got pneumonia and started to choke and cough, I was so scared, I took him to the vet crying and sobbing, and the Vet told me he is too small for injections so I got some mix of antibiotics that I put in his water and on his food. I also bought A+D3 drops for him too. I bought aquarium, lamp, heater, filter. And in a few days he started to slowly open his eyes, his pretty greenish-blue eyes, and his pneumonia went away, and they he goes crazy and still is... LOL... I was over him night and day until he got healthy. Still, I get scared when I see he does something new, I don't want him to get ill ever again. He started to grow also after that, and was so sure then that he was treated wrong, I am so angry at my friend still. He grows so quickly now, I can see transparent line of something around his shell, and it becomes shell I guess, because it changes over a period of time, so I assume that means he's growing. He finally started eating pellets about a month ago, I feed him with Repto Min Baby. No shrimps for a while. He also eats carrot sometimes and sometimes I give him a little peace of cooked chicken breasts.

He also likes when I sing lullabies to him. At night, just before I turn off his light, I sing him a little song, he gets so calm, and watches me, not blinking, and they I wish him a good night.

My husband plays guitar, and we listen to alternative, metal music, and I realised Korni likes it to. Whenever we play it loud (not too loud) he gets so calm, and sleeps bit. haha.

I also wanted to ask how well is turtles eye sight?? Because I think Korni doesn't see that well. I don't know but I feel like he needs to get near something to get what it is. And when I feed him he doesn't always seems to catch where I put his food. Is it because he had puffy eyes for too long, so his eye sight got bad??? Can I fix it? Oher then with A vitamin?

Andddddd, like a sugar candy for the end, a few pics from my Korni baby :D
Attachments
IMG_0651.JPG
IMG_0674.jpg
IMG_0624.jpg
IMG_0673.jpg
IMG_0672.jpg
IMG_0649.jpg
VanjaSasa

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:46 am   Re: Korny from Bihać (BiH)

I zoomed in on the eyes they look good. Most turtles see better than a human. A well mixed , balance and nutritious diet and a monthly supplement will do good . Some over supplement which can cause other problem. Looking good , do see some skin shedding that's normal. Also being a little bigger now you will see the thin transparent layers more on the shell. That's just the keratin layer also normal part of shedding.

Sometime as turtles get attached to us they get over excited to see us passing up where the food is. More interested in you ! Lots of time that begging is for attention too not just for food. That's ok , maybe just tease him a little with the food to excite him to eat first . After feeding then play with him. He just loves you and wants to play first just like a young child at the dinner table.
Last edited by litefoot on Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:53 am   Re: Korny from Bihać (BiH)

Oh, thank you. Can I ask more question??? LIke, Korni is weird these two days, whenever I get near him he acts like he's scared of me, and it's so weird because two days ago he was going crazy whenever I enter the room. Only when I come to feed him, and he sees how I put water in a bowl under the aquarium, and then I put the food first so it gets little softer for him, and then I put him inside.

Will he hibernate? Cause in that case, I have nooo idea what to do.... and I read on some wiki-how page that sometimes people put turtles in fridge or something like that... I dont want to put him in any fridge lol...
VanjaSasa

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:06 am   Re: Korny from Bihać (BiH)

Turtle are no different than us they have off days. Something may of startled him , a loud noise … but I bet he swims back up to see you shortly. You may of woke him up from a good dream. They also can feel weather change's and being young doesn't understand all yet . Instinct kick's in over time. He's young yet Piggley just gives me "the look'.

Turtles don't hibernate they brumate. Best for a "captive" turtle not to that's why consistent water temp around 78-80* is best for a captive turtle. That's a small turtle to a baby. Adults 75* water temp is good. It's too hard to offer what the wild / nature can to do it safely. Some try but not all are 100% successful , tragic endings.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:29 am   Re: Korny from Bihać (BiH)

Yes, he comes out to check on me, as a matter of fact he is at his moment scratching the glass trying to, I don't know, come out through.. But still is pretty scared, I don't know why, there wasn't any loud noise, I try not to jump or make my appereance too sudden, so he wouldnt get scared. I did however jumped a few days ago, my doors werelocked, and my husband came from work, so I hurried to open them, probably that... Or a weather change, these few days there were like three seasons changing, yesterday it was cloudy and cold, arround 0, and over the night and in the morning it was 17 degrees, and warm wind and sun.... crazy changes for healthy people, perhaps even for my baby...
VanjaSasa

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:59 am   Re: Korny from Bihać (BiH)

So true !
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:28 am   Re: Korny from Bihać (BiH)

They look so cute :D
TurtleDudes350

Previous

Return to Photo Gallery