Other Turtle Discussion :: Local pet store selling baby RES.

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:15 pm   Local pet store selling baby RES.

So i was out at this pet store we have in my city. Its a privately owned one not corporate like Petco or Petsmart.

Anyway I was buying some things for my turtles and the guy at the register was asking me about my turtles and he asked me if I wanted to buy more. He said he had some real tiny ones about this big *motions with fingers* [about an inch and 1/2] for sale if I wanted any. I told him noooo.

The thing is the guy I bought my RES from bred and sold baby RES and he aslo work[s/ed] at that same pet store. His family moved out of state but I dont know if he stayed. If they are still selling the baby turtles there from when he first started working there I was thinking hes still working there. Unless he taught them how to bred turtles.

Any how. I wanted to save those poor baby turtles and I still feel troubled.
More so because of the fact that its illegal to sell turtles that are under 4 inches here in California, and here they are doing it out in the open!

The over production and abuse of these creatures saddens me :evil:
douhearmewhisper

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:29 pm   

Saddens me too - compared to dog, cat and fish sales - they cannot make that much $$ off the turtle trade, so I really dont get it. You may want to consider the quality of care. I would report the store if they were engaging in illegal sales and the turtles were clearly given inappropriate care. If they are legitimately selling for educational purposes, etc. they will care for the animals, have correct basking lights and docks, etc. If it is a shop that is "trafficking" in baby turts - 25 little ones in a ten gallon tank, etc. I would turn them in.

Just my humble opinion. I am usually not a real law and order type, but the level of mistreatment can be outrageous. The fact that it is also a federal offense as well makes it more important I think too. While it is highly unlikely that someone would die of turt related salmonella poisoning. It does happen. I read a report that estimated there were about 300 cases os hospitalization and about 50 deaths due to non-food borne salmonella. And this is since the sales have become illegal. it is a potential health risk (a low one but still a risk) to those that do not understand turtle care and homes with kids, elderly, pregnant women, etc.
Mom to:

1 RES - Tuck
3 Cats - Max, Theo, & Smokey
Lots of mollies and platies
1 Pleco - Spot
1 brand new betta
AND
2 very wild and creative 6 year old humans!
mat012

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:38 pm   

Think of it this way, by tattling they may have to put down a handful of turtles humanely, or otherwise, hundreds of turtles will be abused and not taken care of. I'd heavily consider turning them in, whether they are in a good condition or not.

Unfortunately, it happens everywhere and there's not much we can do but educate the public and try to shut down the wrong-doers ...
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
TheComputerGremlin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:25 pm   

Not to play the devils advocate, but is it possible that the turtles they already have in the store are simply just breeding on their own, and they are trying to unload the ones already born?

Since they go for so little money, is it really worth the time and effort to try to breed them for profit? I can understand trying to breed puppies that sell for $600 or more, but a <$10 turtle? You'd have to sell tons of them to make it worth it.
Turtles teach us an important lesson:

"If you want to get anywhere in life, you have to stick your neck out"
SouthpawSliders

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:02 am   

Ya they sell them in China Town at outdoor stands, $6 for two 1 1/2 inchers. That's where I bought mine 8 years ago before I knew better.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
1 F Belize Slider 7" (Agamemnon)
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/condorboy1/videos
Linus

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:43 am   

whats the name of this store? because ive looked everywhere and theres no aquariums they sells them
danny123

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:04 am   

SouthpawSliders wrote:Not to play the devils advocate, but is it possible that the turtles they already have in the store are simply just breeding on their own, and they are trying to unload the ones already born?

Since they go for so little money, is it really worth the time and effort to try to breed them for profit? I can understand trying to breed puppies that sell for $600 or more, but a <$10 turtle? You'd have to sell tons of them to make it worth it.

While you'd hope these people would find more profitable endeavors, they actually buy the hatchlings for something ridiculous like a dime or quarter a piece, I believe I read somewhere that there are foreign companies that sell the hatchlings in bulk. At that price, even if you only sell one out of every 50, you're still making money. The truth of it is, these people put no care into the hatchlings and just get whatever profit they can.
As for the breeding, it's highly unlikely, because if they eggs are laid in water they usually aren't viable. And most petstores don't have turtles large enough to be laying eggs. Females usually don't have their first clutch until they've been mature for years, and even then the first few clutches usually aren't very fertile.
megcornell
Retired Mod

Return to Other Turtle Discussion