Other Turtle Discussion :: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this forum

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:28 pm   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

Yep, just a gravel vac. Any debris will just sit on top of the sand. I have a really awesome filter so I never have to worry about cleaning the sand.
happycamper

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:04 pm   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

What a super set-up. I am learning so much on the forum. Thanks for sharing about feeling totally clueless thanks to bad advice from others who were totally clueless when you first acquired Sheldon. I can sooooo relate to that sentiment!! My girls were woefully neglected when I acquired them almost 3 months ago. While we aren't "there" yet, things are getting so much better and they are happy, calm, and (I have come to realize) stress-free!! Who knew turtles suffered from stress?? ~grin~ It's all about the learning curve.

What type of sand do you use? We have a bare substrate at this point, but I would like to add some type of substrate to the tank and some sand to the basking area when I get it figured out and upgraded.
Jo

2 RES (mature, ages unknown) - Samantha (9") and Ella (7")
1 Catahoula Leopard Dog - Gracie
6 cats - Miss Piggy; K.C.; Gary; Locutus of Borg aka Loki; Lu Lu; Sonya
KarmaDogma

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:11 pm   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

Thanks! I used play sand, but if I could do it over again I would use pool filter sand.
happycamper

Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:22 pm   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

happycamper wrote:Thanks! I used play sand, but if I could do it over again I would use pool filter sand.

why would u use a different sand just prefrence or special purpose? I ask cuz I got like 5 bags of the play sand thats what happens when u have a spoiled daughter like mine is, its sand left from a sand box my MIL and Nama bought for her awhile back I was useing it as a weight for my woodworking bench but both are taking up a little too much space in my shop so they gots to go. I will never use all that sand though even if i fill all three of my tanks with a deep bed of sand. Im thinking about the PF sand too i just dont like how its white if it comes in other colors cool i gotta do some research.
Redears2

Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:40 pm   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

The play sand just needs a lot of rinsing.
happycamper

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:23 pm   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

How many times u rinse before putting in tank?
Redears2

Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:40 am   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

That tank looks awesome! Sheldon is definitely one happy turtle. The sand looks really nice there! Are those real plants? if so then I'd love to know what kind did you use? and more importantly where did you get them?
talal

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:09 pm   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

Redears2 wrote:How many times u rinse before putting in tank?

a lot :D
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:05 pm   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

Sorry for the delayed response. Rinse the heck out of the sand, rinse until you think your done... and then rinse a bunch more. The plants are silk, I order them on Amazon. Love them!!
happycamper

Previous

Return to Other Turtle Discussion