Other Turtle Discussion :: Oldest Turtle on the Site?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:21 pm   Re: Oldest Turtle on the Site?

Toady looks great, he seems happy in that last picture :) Looks like he's become melanistic since 2012. What was the explanation behind fasting? Aside from cooling temperatures, I'm not sure what would cause that naturally.

Resealing tanks are never fun, but if you reseal it then it should last a little more than 5-7 years. I think good practice is to keep the seals clean from algae and to apply a thick enough bead of silicone. I had to scrape everything and cleaned with rubbing alcohol when I did my tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:49 am   Re: Oldest Turtle on the Site?

Toady turned 50 last October. Had a party and photo opportunity.

50 with cake.jpg

50 party with friends.jpg

He did not like the hat at first but soon accepted it and strutted his stuff around the family room and sun room. The last two years we have sunbirded in Florida. Toady went with us. We pack in storage tubs. One large one became his daytime playroom. Has a frame to keep sides from bulging. Has his filter pumps and a heater. A smaller one with heater under it became is night room. Have a 22nd floor condo this year. He loves being on the deck and looking through the railing at the ocean.

As you can see in this last picture, he gets impatient when we do not get him outside fast enough.
(Sorry, have saved this picture several times rotated correctly but this editor keeps turning it sideways)
Impatient 20200216_131150.jpg

He has on occasion wedged himself under one of those rocker runners outside and rubs his shell. Looks like he is doing the twist.
ToadyK
webfooter

Post Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:36 pm   Re: Oldest Turtle on the Site?

Very handsome turtle , Toady looks great !
Brings back memories of my original turtles Hurricane Katrina took. Three would have passed naturally by now and the other three would be in there fifties. After life started over it's just me and Piggley today.
What great memories you must have with Toady and still more to make.
In the impatient picture he's thinking // I trained that giant to let me outside but he's still slow after fifty years , lets go !
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:00 pm   Re: Oldest Turtle on the Site?

Congrats Toady! That second pic is epic :) What treats does one get for their 50th birthday?

Sorry about the rotated picture, it happens because a smartphone doesn't truly orient the picture sideways, it's just noted in the metadata. This forum removes metadata (which contains information like time, gps location, camera type, etc) so the picture shows how it's actually stored.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:23 am   Re: Oldest Turtle on the Site?

Sorry to hear about your pre-Katrina gang, Litefoot. RES are almost family. Toady was the first of our pets and has outlived the last one by 6 years now. He is the slowest of the pets but it seems to suit our slower life style these days.

Steve, Toady never got to nibble that cupcake. Sweets are not in his diet. He gets some of the typical veggies but also gets some cat food pellets. The vet we took him to eight years ago for a shell condition raised her eyebrow when we said he supplements with pellets. I compared the ingredients and percentages with the bags she sells to find they were virtually the same.
ToadyK
webfooter

Post Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:33 am   Re: Oldest Turtle on the Site?

Not long after I took that Impatient picture, Toady was over that patio door raised threshold and was cruising the condo deck. He looks through the balusters toward the ocean that is 22 floors down. Don't think he has quite figured out what it is all about down there. He will watch a pelican fly by and the pelican looks back at him.

We noticed 2 days ago that he had a hole in his front paw palm. He does not walk on his front palms like he does with his back feet. Instead, he curls back his front claws and walks like I would call his fists. So he did not wear the hole while walking around the tile covered deck. We think he snagged his palm on that patio door threshold. We took him to the vet with this 1/8 inch diameter hole in his "wet suit". She was not alarmed. Said it would be like us humans having a blister with the top layer of skin removed. So looked with a magnifier, saw the skin underneath was pink and healthy, and removed some of the remaining detached skin that enlarged the hole to 1/4 inch diameter. She then prescribed silver sulfadiazine cream 1% to be applied twice a day for 2 hours. We leave him in his travel tub during that two hours. Requires two of us to tag team him to hold him upside down while the other extends his leg to apply a dab.
ToadyK
webfooter

Post Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:21 pm   Re: Oldest Turtle on the Site?

I wholeheartedly agree ! Normally I say my pet/friend /child. Family for sure !
I had some new neighbors over for lunch one day awhile back. It got a little long so I said it's getting into my son's / our play time , we need to cut it short. I was asked , what's your sons name … Piggley , the look I got. Told them Piggley is family to me and get's full attention. The confused look I got. They just don't get it ! My older neighbors and all the kids call me the Turtle Man when I take Piggley outside for his walks. I'm an old man so he's on a leash now , he's still fast , when he wants to be.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:08 am   Re: Oldest Turtle on the Site?

Toady's "blister" had healed and was only missing the pigment. Took almost 3 months of daily disinfectant and a salve.

But lately, he had been lethargic and had not voluntarily eaten for the last two weeks. He was last in our salt water pool 3 days ago.

We fed him daily by needleless syringe using a powder mixed with water that we had gotten last year from the vet. Seems we had to force a snack on him at least a few days sometime each year when he would stop eating daily even though he stayed active. Always before this time, he would snap out of his multi-day funk after eventually passing a healthy #2.

The last 2 days we had him in his shallow 18 x 12 travel tub with an inch or so of water over a small heat pad on the sofa while we watched the news. He would watch tv and also spin around to watch us.

Yesterday, at the end of the national news, my wife reached over to touch him and he did not respond. His head was above water, stiff and lifeless. She had last gotten him to look up to her about a half hour earlier.

Sad to say, Toady is gone but he had an unusually good 50+ year run. Quite a personality and so smart. Outlived any of the other pets we have had by over 30 years.

It was deafening in the house at dawn today. No turtle-powered wakeup call banging on the side of his bedroom aquarium to get us up and get him out.

Going to miss him. He really enjoyed his pool oasis.

Toadys oasis.jpg
Toadys oasis.jpg (182.85 KiB) Viewed 10764 times
ToadyK
webfooter

Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:01 pm   Re: Oldest Turtle on the Site?

I'm so sorry to hear about Toady. I could tell from the pictures that he had so much character and shared a loving home. Take care.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:10 pm   Re: Oldest Turtle on the Site?

I have had my red eared slider for 39 years. My mom bought her for me thinking she would live 6 months to a year. 39 years later she lives in a pond my dad built for her. She outgrew two aquariums, so my dad built the pond when I left for college.
Andz

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:28 am   Re: Oldest Turtle on the Site?

Sounds like she's doing great Andz!
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Other Turtle Discussion