Other Turtle Discussion :: Weird behavior

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:52 pm   Weird behavior

I've had my red ear slider for less than a week and yesterday my fiancee noticed her trying to climb out of her tank and swimming into the glass away from us a lot. She was pretty relaxed until then, even though we were having troubles with filtering/temps. I've read she might be trying to lay eggs? She's 4 inches. I was going to take her outside for a minute to see what she'd do. If she does lay eggs, what should I do with them?
lilyoshi

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:41 pm   Re: Weird behavior

Working on an idea for that filter in the "PM".

You state "away" from you ! She is still very new to you and the tank it takes time. Turtles can almost feel you enter from another room like when the pressure changes at the time you open a door. She is more alert now and both of you need to try and move slowly around her until she gets comfortable. That can take time and some turtles just never warm up to there owners. Has a lot to do with the turtles personality. Something is spooking her , offer her a well planned hiding spot so she can feel safe , will help her calm down if she likes it. Yes to hide but also make it where she can still see out a little to watch the two of you.

If it was "to" you and begging like crazy it because she now relates both of you with food. Turtles are the best at begging and with age only get better at it !!! Never keep feeding when it begs , a well balanced , varied and nutritious diet is your job having a captive animal.

Could at that size have eggs but if gravid she would normally stop eating to allow room for the eggs to grow and really go crazy. Nothing you would make for nest works , turtles are picky , a garden area works best for most not a grass yard. If any eggs dispose of them will be unfertile. Unless she had a date with a male lately.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:42 pm   Re: Weird behavior

It's not necessary eggs. Some turtles just try to escape a lot and they always swim against the glass.
If she does lay eggs, you can just leave them since it won't hatch (assuming she wasn't with a male before). Or you can dig them up, crack them and throw them away if you are scared she was holding sperm. Some people eat turtle eggs as well. It's really up to you.
PokePony

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:58 pm   Re: Weird behavior

It's been confusing. She seems to associate me with food. Her tank is next to my bed and I sometimes find her sitting there staring at me and/or begging. She basks in front of me with little hesitation. When I clean stuff out of her tank with a net, she comes to the surface and stares at me too, doesn't try to bite or anything. She doesn't seem very close with my fiancee yet, but she's getting there. Since I took her outside for about 5 minutes, she seems to have calmed down. I don't really want to make this a regular thing unless it's good for her, especially since it's supposed to get cold soon
lilyoshi

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:49 pm   Re: Weird behavior

It takes time ! Just remember the both of you are very big giants to her , do things on her level and speed will help. A turtle in the wild will never let you get closer than 30' to them even if basking in the middle of a lake they jump in. She is in a small tank and trapped even when her instinct is telling her to run and hide. Making her new home as turtle friendly as you can helps.
Decades ago I had a 7000 gallon in ground pond , Little Joe took over a year to warm up to me and he had 5 other turtles in there with him. The other's would come up to my little dock and I feed by hand , just took Little Joe longer until that happened.
litefoot

Return to Other Turtle Discussion