Other Turtle Discussion :: Help to identify

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:30 pm   Help to identify

Looking for help in confirming the type of turtle I have. I rescued him from a crappy situation and the individual i got him from said she was a painted turtle but i have my doubts and think she is a red ear slider. Can u confirm for me? She is 10 years old.
Attachments
Resized_20191010_160934.jpeg
Resized_20191010_161005.jpeg
Croberts38

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:40 pm   Re: Help to identify

You are correct, she's a red ear slider. She needs a bit of shell cleaning :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:34 pm   Re: Help to identify

Is there a thread I can read about properly cleaning a shell?
Croberts38

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:35 am   Re: Help to identify

None specific that I can think of but it's pretty easy... I would get a 2 small tubs that can fit the turtle. Fill both with water that is the same or slightly warmer than regular tank temp. Use something like Hibiclens aka Chlorhexidine. It's soapy, but works well. Get a toothbrush or a small but soft scrubbing brush. Hold turtle just over the tub from rear in water with one hand (so they can't bite you). !!! Keep the turtle just over the water because they will be difficult to hold. She will be even more slippery from the Hibiclens/algae and she will kick and scratch like crazy. Gently scrub and don't let the turtle drink the Hibiclens or dirty water. Take her to the next tub for a rinse then put her someplace clean, warm and dry. The shell doesn't need to spotless, so repeat the next day if you want.

You can do this with just water, especially if it is just algae on the shell and you want to clear it up a bit but take the time to inspect it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:31 pm   Re: Help to identify

Awesome, thanks I will give it a try
Croberts38

Return to Other Turtle Discussion