Other Turtle Discussion :: Curious about behaviours!

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:46 pm   Curious about behaviours!

Hi!

So first, I have 2 red-eared sliders and we JUST realized they are two males instead of a male and a female. They've lived together for about 10 years now, and get along fine (I'm across from them most of the time and they just chill together).

First behaviour
However, this means that we are now wondering if they might be bi? (which is chill because I am too!). At night I will see them go around displaying mating rituals such as pushing rocks back with their hind feet, fluttering in each other's faces, and sticking out their... stick. They would each take turns doing this reciprocally.

They come from the same clutch and have grown together all their lives, but we (my mom and I) are just curious if red-eared sliders exhibit homosexual behaviours :)

Second behaviour
They also always sleep beside each other. Not when basking, like at night when they are sleeping. If one sleeps somewhere, the other is usually beside them. If one moves, the other follows. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this?

I was just curious about why they do this :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(P.S. They do have a basking area, it's just elevated, and the floating things are balls they play with)
Attachments
IMG_3999.jpg
HopefulWorld2003

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:44 pm   Re: Curious about behaviours!

Fluttering can be a mating signal but also as a warning to back off. The fanning doesn't really mean anything, as it's more of a "new" thing for them... older male RES hardly fan. As for coming from the same clutch... that doesn't mean anything to them either.

As for sleeping near each other, it's likely out of habit. They can be very social sometimes and fine alone.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:06 pm   Re: Curious about behaviours!

steve wrote:Fluttering can be a mating signal but also as a warning to back off. The fanning doesn't really mean anything, as it's more of a "new" thing for them... older male RES hardly fan. As for coming from the same clutch... that doesn't mean anything to them either.

They are anywhere from 10 to 15 years old (my mom got them when I was somewhere between 4-8). They are never aggressive towards the other, and just do their own thing most of the time (my school desk/work area is right across from them so I'm around them most hours of the day). I've noticed they also basically push out their penis (I can't describe it well, and don't have any videos/pictures). Also, I mentioned the clutch just to show that they were the same age :)

Also, that makes sense about the sleeping thing! They seem to be close (one of them was doing a behaviour I can only describe as 'concern' when the other got sick (gently nudging him to the top of the tank, just staying round him even in the day, using the tip of his nose to gently move him around the tank (and he's never done this before))
HopefulWorld2003

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:14 pm   Re: Curious about behaviours!

Aggression usually starts once they mature and get older. Just keep an eye out for that but hopefully they can continue to get along.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Other Turtle Discussion