Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: New Ornate (yes, another one), blistering head?

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:19 am   New Ornate (yes, another one), blistering head?

So......I seem to be adopting turtles left and right. Anyway, long story, but this shall be the last of my collection. I just adopted a male ornate today to mate with my female. The mating started instantly....like in less than a minute of putting him in the pen.

Anyway, I am slightly concerned about what appears to be scabbing or scars from blistering on the top of his head. Has anyone seen this before? It looks like it's healing, or has healed and just scarred, but it looks quite wierd and different from anything I've ever seen. I'll post pics as soon as I find my camera.....
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(3T Box) Manny & Isabella
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:12 am   

Here are some pics.

The wrinkly head I was talking about:

Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:17 am   

Yay cute turtles!! I don't really know anything about tortoises other than that's a cute one :D
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
untsmurf

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:22 am   

hehe, thanks. he's really a cute fella. incredibly active too.
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:02 am   

Yea! Baby boxies! Can't wait to see 'em. :D

His head looks like it may have an old scar or something. Is it scabby or just wrinkly skin?
DavidY

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:50 am   

Just wrinkly. Doesn't appear scabby. Any idea what may have caused it? I'm hoping it was some kinda physical trauma that's healed and not any sort of disease.

Does anyone know how long it takes a female to lay eggs after mating? We're moving next week and don't want to leave any eggs behind :) .
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:04 pm   

An old wound?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:06 pm   

Ya, it looks like it could be. I just want to make sure it's not any kind of rot or something. I've not seen anything like this before.
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:51 pm   

That's why a quarantine period is always a good idea :-)

Maybe a closer shot would help? My 3toed boxie's head went a burgundy colour in that same spot once before and I never figured out what it was. Can you call the place you adopted him from and ask if he's had any problems?

If it's just wrinkled skin, rather than a scab, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would separate him for at least 90 days though.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:52 pm   

Yes, I know.....unfortunately we're in the middle of moving and a quarantine period isn't possible. I'll be able to seperate them in a couple weeks, but at that point it's kinda pointless i think. he acts very healthy. No signs of any problems other than the head issue.

Do you think it's worth seperating them in a couple weeks even if they have to be together now?
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:04 pm   

That is a beautiful Ornate Box turtle
2 RES Jack and Turbo
1 Shih-tzu/Poodle mix Cookie
turboturtle8

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:19 pm   

RunninWideOpen wrote:Yes, I know.....unfortunately we're in the middle of moving and a quarantine period isn't possible. I'll be able to seperate them in a couple weeks, but at that point it's kinda pointless i think. he acts very healthy. No signs of any problems other than the head issue.

Do you think it's worth seperating them in a couple weeks even if they have to be together now?

It certainly couldnt hurt (I know I'm a bit late on this)
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:56 pm   

How close is the UV light to the tortoise? Reason why I ask is because it took me a few times to get the distance of the UVB bulb to my Sheba's basking dock correct. For a while there, she was getting a little sun burn on the top of her head that looks very much like that tort's head. It looked like loose wrinkly skin and was slightly red.
Kristin's Pond! Starring:

RES = "Sheba", 21+ yrs. old
African Clawed Frog = "Prog", 10 yrs old
& "Kristin" as Momma
industrial_girl_2000

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:54 am   

Just wanted to follow up and let ya'll know that my vet said the blistering on Sid's head is almost definitely from direct contact with a heat lamp. Wherever he had escaped from, the people must have had the lamp too low and he hit it. It's healed and no problem now though.

Also, both ornates do have hook worm, which they are now being treated for. He said no need to quarantine since they've both got it now. Just don't let them around the other turts.

Thanks for the advice!
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion