Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Three Toed Boxies

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:13 am   Three Toed Boxies

Does anybody have a clue where I could get one.

I've been looking forever.
Take-One

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:01 pm   

I ended up paying $300+ for mine thru a pet store. They didn't carry them, but they ordered one for me because I couldnt find any local breeders..

First though, I contacted all the different Humane Societies in the surrounding area, I checked online also.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:37 pm   

Do you know of any online places?
Take-One

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:48 pm   

That depends on where you're located. There are very few here in Canada, and I'm not familiar with online dealers in the US. The only one I can tell you for sure is reliable is www.turtlepimp.com but you'll have to go through his list and see if he carries them.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:54 pm   

Crap. No Boxies at all.
Take-One

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:03 pm   

You could email him and ask if he knows anyone who has them.. he's pretty nice like that.
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:45 pm   

If they don't have any in the petstores in your area, maybe you could look for a reptile show. I know I won't find a russian tortoise around here when I am ready to get one, since I live in NJ, so I will probably take a trip to NY or PA for a repile show. They are having a reptile show this weekend in Hamburg,PA I think, but I have to work. :(
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:49 pm   

imderanged wrote:If they don't have any in the petstores in your area, maybe you could look for a reptile show. I know I won't find a russian tortoise around here when I am ready to get one, since I live in NJ, so I will probably take a trip to NY or PA for a repile show. They are having a reptile show this weekend in Hamburg,PA I think, but I have to work. :(

If I bought from a Pet Store It would be wild caught. I live in PA but I wouldnt go all the way to Hamburg (I never heard of that anyway)to find out they might not have one. I guess the time will come sometime.
Take-One

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:26 pm   

http://market.kingsnake.com/index.php?cat=39
Try Kingsnake. They usually have them, and it is where I got mine from. It might not be the time of year to get them though. I got mine in Jan.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:40 pm   

I looked on petfinder.com for my area and there are a bunch of them up for adoption. So, if you go there and put in your zipcode (put in reptile) it will bring them up and you can look for that specific turtle.
1 Male RES, 16 yrs. "Krueger"
1 Female Central American Wood Turtle
2 Dogs
3 Cats
mzkitty23

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:24 am   

Do you have the space and financial resources to care for one? Access to a vet?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:21 am   

imderanged wrote:If they don't have any in the petstores in your area, maybe you could look for a reptile show. I know I won't find a russian tortoise around here when I am ready to get one, since I live in NJ, so I will probably take a trip to NY or PA for a repile show. They are having a reptile show this weekend in Hamburg,PA I think, but I have to work. :(

Where in NJ are you?? I live in PA about 30 min from Phillipsburg NJ, and the petcos and petsmarts around here always have Russians. Petco has 3 at the moment and theyre $89.00
Amg81083

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:37 pm   

steve wrote:Do you have the space and financial resources to care for one? Access to a vet?
I have like 5 or 6 herp vets around here and I got the space and I have the money.
Take-One

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:26 pm   

Amg81083> I live "down the shore" in Ocean County, so its a good hour or so just to the border of NJ & PA for me. Turtles and tortoises are illegal to sell in New Jersey.
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:09 am   

Frank, why don't you adopt? MZkitty23 has a bunch up for adoption in her area. What if you paid her to adopt a boxie for you and have her ship it to you? That way you're saving a turtle in need.... May cost a bit more, but isn't that better for everyone in the long run?

if you're dead set on buying one online try theturtlesource.com.
- Jessy
"Every breath we take is linked to the sea."
zoologist

Next

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion