Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Conflicting information

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:34 am   Conflicting information

I know that generally, we don't want to take advice from pet store people, but sometimes I ask them questions to see what they know/don't know.

Last night I went to Superpet to get silkworms for my lil boxie. The guy at Petland told me last week that you have to pick them up with a tissue or put a glove on because the oils from your skin can hurt them or kill them or something. This was the same guy that told me I had to squeeze the earthworms before feeding.

I asked the girl at superpet about it and she looked at me like I was nuts. Then I asked her what I could do to raise temps because my boxie was refusing to eat. She said something about a natural instinct because of the season, and I read that somewhere too, so she must know something. Anyway, she suggested a HOT ROCK!! I asked about a ceramic heat emitter for night time and she didn't know what that was! Then she suggested he may be constipated or dehydrated (he soaks every day) and said to feed him a pea to get things moving. I'm really not sure about that because I know peas are no good for my res.

I just don't get it man.

btw, after 3 days of refusing food, my lil guy ate a silkworm this morning I was probably being paranoid, as this is my first land turtle but I wouldn't care as much if he weighed more.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:55 pm   

I don't find it useful to test the pet store owners. Usually because the results irritate me and even if I do give information, they listen through one ear and out the other. It's almost a no-win. Although I have all the respect in me to those who do try to change the pet stores and their information.
Some boxie keepers do feed their boxies peas in the pod regularly.
Glad your boxie ate :) Other than the feeding, she's healthy and happy?

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:08 pm   

Seems to be! He's coming out more during the day but still stays buried a lot of the time. I think he's figured out that I'm the bearer of baths and food and I'm not going to eat him :lol: He's also steadily gaining weight and getting a bit of colour.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:54 am   

That's great news :D I love it when boxies bury themselves and poke their heads out. Almost a peek-a-boo. When you find Dog doing that, take a picture! I love their little faces all dirty and cute. :wink:

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:12 am   

Yes, more pictures! It's unfortunate that people offer "advice" just to make a sale or they just act as if they do know, pretending to be a competent employee. I wonder how many animals have been hurt/killed in this manner.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion