Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Land based turtle to live with RES?

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:50 pm   Land based turtle to live with RES?

I'm not sure exactly where to put this, so I'll try here.

I'm in NY and building an outdoor enclosure for a 3" RES. It's 125 gallons in the main pond, 18" at the deepest part, with maybe another ten gallons in an upper pond. The pond takes up about half of the enclosure, while the other is a turtle safe garden.

I'd really like a land based turtle that could live in the "garden." My RES is very people friendly and has never shown any interest in feeder guppies, so I don't think s/he would be aggressive towards another turtle, and if I got a land based turtle they really wouldn't even run into each other much. The turtles could both be introduced to the new enclosure at the same time.

Basically I'm worried that the new turtle might pick on the RES, and also that it could fall into the pond and drown if it's not an okay swimmer. There will be plenty of places for it to climb out, but still. Any ideas on species?
Peperomia

Post Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:46 pm   

If the pond is 125 gallons, I would think the RES would wander out frequently. Well, hopefully you can get some answers about which land turts do well in that size.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:40 am   

A box turtle would be your best bet. They're pretty good swimmers and it might take a dip in the pond now and then.....Just make sure there's a comfortable slope for it to get back out.
jozzep

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion