Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Just rescued...

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:23 pm   Just rescued...

My fiancé and I just rescued this little girl along with her two brothers. The previous owner said she had been attacked by his dog. She is in ruff shape but her shell looks like it's healing. He said he had been giving her an iodine bath every other day. I gave her one iodine bath two days ago but haven't done another one because she's been listless and hasn't been eating. Today I just let her soak in warm water without the iodine and she seemed to perk up a bit. Is there anything else that can be done? She is half the size of her brothers.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
mdb71

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:51 pm   Re: Just rescued...

The injury looks pretty bad, but primary concern is for infection (discoloration, texture change, odor). Keep her a little warmer than the others if you can.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:02 pm   Re: Just rescued...

Yes keep her warm and if you keep her in a clean environment to prevent dust or debris from getting in the wound, Iodosorb cream (iodine based cream) will work great if this little one does not get a bath for at least 24 to 48 hours. It will kill bacteria and won't just run off like iodine. I would never recommend it for water turtles at all. After 24 to 48 hours, you can rinse it off a bit. Do not apply a lot though, just enough to cover and get into the wound for the healing process. The trauma caused by the dog, It is stressed I am sure and the less interaction you have during the treatment , the better so it can relax while getting comfortable. Provide food and water though and the iodsorb cream can be applied every 48 hours.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:19 pm   Re: Just rescued...

Thanks for the advice. What signs of infection should I be looking for. The big break on her side i can clearly see, but the puncture on the top of her shell is harder to see and it's harder to tell what's happening with it. I'm gonna put her in a separate container from the others. How much warmer should I make her? Right now the box they're in stays around 80 degrees.
mdb71

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:35 pm   Re: Just rescued...

With the big break in her side, she really needs exotic vet attention and I hate to advise you of that but she does. Keeping her warm with Iodosorb cream would be the ideal thing to do until then but I am fearing internal injury has occurred therefor, no matter what you do, though the iodosorb will help with the wound and spreading of bacteria, the big break in itself very well may lead to death if not treated by exotic vet. X-rays would need to be conducted by their office I am 100 percent positive. Wounds like this in general are a major target for septicemia therefor antibiotics and a anti-inflammatory would need to be prescribed by a exotic vet. Your vet will recommend either to continue with the idosorb most likely and or prescribe another cream based of course of what he sees in the x rays and such. You can also use vitamin A before you can get it to a exotic vet. The antibiotics issued in addition will tend to any major areas that needs to be addressed but not of course to the wound itself. You will be looking for patches of pus and swelling primarily. Without question the tortoise needs to be taken as soon as possible to a exotic vet. It is a life threatening situation and the solutions provided were only recommended as emergency treatment to stabilize the situation until you can get to one. It is bad unfortunately. I am so sorry to inform you of this but it is needed. If you can't afford one, some vets are kind enough to treat them free upon donation. That is between you and the vet. If this occurs, stress to the vet that you rescued it and it was not yours to begin with. This way it does not make you look like you just wanted free services.

I am going to say to be safe to keep it around 82 degrees . During these situations and based on what the vet will see will determine the temps and as with my past employment with the clinic, the vet determined temps based on antibiotics selected after reviewing of injuries which he always advised the pet owner between 82 and 90 degrees depending on the treatment plan. So the bare minimum would be 82 in this. 80 is not all that far off though and you are doing the right things.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:46 pm   Re: Just rescued...

Agreed. You might also want to consider surrendering her to a rehabber for treatment.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:33 pm   Re: Just rescued...

Ok she has an appointment with the vet. I'm just gonna be keeping her comfortable until then. The more I look at her the sadder it makes me. one of her scutes is loose at looks as though it may fall off. I cleaned the would up a little more and am keeping the cream on her. After I take her to the vet, depending on what they say, I have two different wildlife sanctuaries who would be willing to take her. Fingers crossed for a positive diagnosis. I'll update once we've seen the vet.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
mdb71

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:00 pm   Re: Just rescued...

You are doing the right thing. I feel sorry for this little one too. The trauma and pain in her shows. I am so happy that you have a vet to look after it. Thank you
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:40 am   Re: Just rescued...

Glad you are taking the right action, you're giving her the best chance she can possible get.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion